Next year's goal: Sub 5 minute 500 free

Trying to set one solid goal for next year. After a mediocre season, I've decided to focus on one event only for next year. I want to see if I can break 5 minutes for a 500 free. Back in my college days (almost 30 years ago), my best was a 4:47, and I would routinely swim just under 5 in most dual meets. Since I started Masters swimming 4 years ago, my best has been a 5:10. Not bad, but I think I can do better. Now here's the question for all the middle-distance studs out there: what are some good workouts/drills that you can do to A) increase raw speed, and B) increase endurance. As I mentioned in a different thread, I have been dealing with a mild anemia issue, which I'm pretty sure has been resolved.
Parents
  • Quote: That sounds really painful. I like it! Like you, I pretty much swim "full speed ahead" all workout, trying to get as much quality yardage at race pace as I can, while focusing on technique. That's why I love the USRPT. I'll have to give the 12x200s set a try sometime once I'm more recovered. I don't think I could finish that set right now without pain in my left tricep (evidently the tricep attaches to the shoulder blade and I happened to fracture mine right at the point of attachment of the tricep, so it will bother me right now if I swim too many yards too hard). On the "all out" 200s, do you give yourself more rest? I can comfortably "cruise" a 200 at about 2:20 or so. When I work hard, I can get down in the 2:12-2:14 range. And when I go all out from a wall push, I can probably go somewhere around 2:05 or 2:06. Knowing these times, what interval would you suggest for me? Those workout times you're doing are pretty close to mine. I'm usually 2:03-2:05 for the all-outs, from a push start. Don't give yourself any extra time on the fast ones, as the idea is to practice going all out when you're tired. You should be fine with a 3:15 interval. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if you go around 9:40 or under in your 800. Your 200 times look pretty solid!
  • Quote: That sounds really painful. I like it! Like you, I pretty much swim "full speed ahead" all workout, trying to get as much quality yardage at race pace as I can, while focusing on technique. That's why I love the USRPT. I'll have to give the 12x200s set a try sometime once I'm more recovered. I don't think I could finish that set right now without pain in my left tricep (evidently the tricep attaches to the shoulder blade and I happened to fracture mine right at the point of attachment of the tricep, so it will bother me right now if I swim too many yards too hard). On the "all out" 200s, do you give yourself more rest? I can comfortably "cruise" a 200 at about 2:20 or so. When I work hard, I can get down in the 2:12-2:14 range. And when I go all out from a wall push, I can probably go somewhere around 2:05 or 2:06. Knowing these times, what interval would you suggest for me? Those workout times you're doing are pretty close to mine. I'm usually 2:03-2:05 for the all-outs, from a push start. Don't give yourself any extra time on the fast ones, as the idea is to practice going all out when you're tired. You should be fine with a 3:15 interval. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if you go around 9:40 or under in your 800. Your 200 times look pretty solid!
Children
No Data