Rude Pool People

Everyone here on the boards has way more experience than I do, so I'm looking for advice on how you handle rudeness in the pool. It seems like the summer has taken its toll on me with the number of rude people of all stripes who've been sharing my rec center pool. It's gotten to the point where it's sapped my enjoyment, and I have at times thought about giving up the sport entirely because it's just too much hassle to come home feeling like I've been byatch slapped, run into, pushed against the ropes, told no to lane sharing, and insulted about the way I look in a bathing suit. Yes, I'm too sensitive, that's a fact, but I'm a writer and an artist, so it kind of comes with the territory. I try to shrug these things off, but I get out of the pool depressed and replay incidents in my head. I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it. What's supposed to be a nice, relaxing, healthy form of exercise has, over the summer, become something I dread. The lifeguards aren't much help - they don't see most of what's going on in the lap lanes because they're busy watching the kids. I can't count on them to step in. :badday: So I'd like to know if any of you experienced swimmers have dealt with this turning point, and how you kept going.
  • I think you need to talk to the pool management about possibly dividing the lanes into a slow / medium / fast lanes. I used to swim at a YMCA that did just that. I know there's nothing worse than circle swimming with people that are all different speeds. The faster swimmers are totally shut down in this situation and are unable to get a workout that raises their heart rate at all. This can be as frustrating for the fast person as it is for the slower persons and could possibly cause aggressive or mean behavior toward lanemates. I had this situation occur the other day at a local community center. I was splitting a lane with a slower man and enjoying my workout. Another fellow jumped in the lane. This guy was swimming some type of hybrid breastroke w/a scissor kick that extended across both lane lines. He was taking about 3 minutes per 50 + kicking me each time I tried to swim down the lane. I tried to continue with my swim but it was totally impossible. The lanes are too narrow to pass in the middle. I waited at one end till he got there. I asked him if he could either move to a lane where the others were swimming breastroke, or switch to freestyle so the lane could have a better flow. Before I could catch my breath both slow lane mates were yelling at me, telling me they had as much right to be there as I did, and threatning to tattle to the lifeguards about me. I tried to tell them I got there first + I had a right to swim too but they just didn't get it. I finally just got out. I was out numbered, plus can't argue with self-righteous jerks. I later talked to the mgt. and they agreed to setting pylons at lane ends labeled slow-medium-fast. SOLUTION!!!!
  • Bobinator, thanks for the suggestion. It's a good one. The management here isn't what you'd call responsive, but it's worth trying. They generally don't pay much attention. I've asked about cell phones in the locker room, and they did put up a sign, but it's way in a corner. I'm not even going to try and tackle the overage boys in the women's locker room. I swim slowly, but try to find someone who's compatible to lane share. The guy who jumped into the lane with you and swam up the middle sounds like an idiot, and incredibly rude. He has a right to share the pool, but not at the expense of the other swimmers. We have a woman who likes to swim on her back down the middle pulling with both arms simultaneously, and she always refused to share a lane. My main motivation for getting over my fear of the deep end is that most of the swimmers there have a clue, whereas the people who use the shallow lanes at our pool are often not really swimmers and have no concept of courtesy. Plus, you don't often have to share in the deep end.
  • Rude people are everywhere unfortunately. Just had an encounter of overwhelming inconsiderate behavior, was on an airplane with several drunk and obnoxious londoners in their 50's behind me - bad apples they were. I just had to bear down and endure the flight. Only on a rare occasion do I see rudeness at the pool, but I empathize with one who experiences this on a daily basis.
  • I think you need to talk to the pool management about possibly dividing the lanes into a slow / medium / fast lanes. I used to swim at a YMCA that did just that. Wow, this is somewhat of a shock because I assumed nearly every pool already did this. I guess I'm mistaken!
  • Nah. None of the pools here divides up the lanes. I wish they did during peak times. Going back to the original post, maybe you need to find a different time to swim. Most of the "real" swimmers tend to be in teh pool super early (before 7am) or later in the evening. The mid morning and after work crowds tend to be less skilled. I hope you find some solace!
  • Wow, this is somewhat of a shock because I assumed nearly every pool already did this. I guess I'm mistaken! I agree knelson, you'd think this would be obvious to any pool mgr. as a Best Practice to follow. I totally agree that everyone has a right to be in the pool and swim the speed they want to swim but there has to be some type of organization. If there isn't it's almost always the physically fit person who has to relinquish their workout and end up looking like the bad guy.
  • Kurt, you must be swimming at my pool. I get a big chuckle out of the ladies who pretend not to speak English and shake their heads "no" when you try to get in the lane, and wave their arms at you, like you should be intimidated. I see a lot of these same ladies swimming down the middle on their backs with their eyes closed, like it's their private spa. Certainly, they're entitled to do so. But not when other people need to share.
  • Rob, that's priceless.:D Orca1946, we have a head lifeguard who's really nice. He warned me early in the season that the summer guards were young and didn't like confrontation. He said he was trying to break them of that. I don't want the guards to see me as a pest. I've complained too much already, IMHO. :bitching:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Rob, that's priceless.:D Orca1946, we have a head lifeguard who's really nice. He warned me early in the season that the summer guards were young and didn't like confrontation. He said he was trying to break them of that. I don't want the guards to see me as a pest. I've complained too much already, IMHO. :bitching: You're not being a pest. I supervise all the lifeguards at my pool and we have these problems with lap swimmers constantly. We tell people entering the facility that they will be expected to share lanes and circle swim. We also posted notices that show exactly how to do so (including staying out of the way of faster swimmers). One excuse that we used to get a lot were people were swimming for physical therapy and needed their own lane. We do provide private lanes for organizations who are properly insured and rent the space, but that is not open to individuals. In short, I shut that one down. I have encouraged the staff to be confrontational with rude swimmers; not because I enjoy it, but because it seems to be the only language these people understand. After about 6 months of "hammer down" we have a rather pleasant group of lap swimmers, and issues of sharing lanes and staying out of the way seem to have subsided. It wasn't handled gently though. Unfortunately, you have to be "direct" with some of these people.
  • Two problems with slow, medium, fast breakdown is 1) speed is all relative and 2) if there is an opening in a slow lane, people get bent out of shape if a fast person gets in which is dumb. Also, I believe faster people are better to swim with as they are not oblivious. I start planning on sharing (swimming against one lane line). I also enforce sharing. I once swam where a lady refused to share and kept swimming in the middle. People kept getting in and soon after, getting out. All the other lanes were full. Me, being the swell guy I am, offered the next person up to take my spot and make the "nice" lady share. I took one side and ran into her a few times, she cursed at me a few times in chinese and got out. Lifeguards are generally worthless as they are teenagers and are there primarily to work on their tan. They constantly "see" thunder cutting swims short and are no good/apathetic at conflict resolution. Good luck.