Butterfrog help requested

After resisting my coach's suggestion to learn butterfrog, I am finally relenting and taking the advice of King Frog, Nadine Day, and my team's relay coach, Donna Hooe. I can swim a legal butterfly forever (well, 2,000 yards non-stop that I know of), but it's slow. I would like to improve my times on both 200 fly and 400 IM, so my goal is to learn a legal (and good!) butterfrog. I saw instant positive improvements in my stroke count and 200-pace, 25-yard split. What used to be a 10-stroke 25 yard butterfly is now 8 strokes, and my time at 200 pace dropped almost two seconds. I have only practiced this for a few hundred yards, so I have a long way to go to getting it right! First of all, the undulation is missing, and I need to get the feel for it. I also notice that I'm not getting completely around on recovery and my wrists are bending on entry. In time, I'm sure I can work these out. Is this butterfrog legal? What suggestions do you have on how to improve? King Frog, I would especially appreciate your feedback as always! :agree: Topside- http://youtu.be/0yVfdN5CcXY Thanks flyers and frogs!
  • King Frog, will you please refresh my memory on the FINA Masters World Championships? Did FINA recognize butterfrog as legal for Masters competitions? Thanks!
  • King Frog, will you please refresh my memory on the FINA Masters World Championships? Did FINA recognize butterfrog as legal for Masters competitions? Thanks! Yes.If my shoulder hadn't have been acting up,I'd have swum the 200 fly at Worlds butterfrog.
  • Yes.If my shoulder hadn't have been acting up,I'd have swum the 200 fly at Worlds butterfrog. That's what I thought- thanks!
  • I do. Off the dive I do 2 dolphin kicks,a whip kick,a dolphin kick and then surface.On the turns I try to do dolphin kick,whip kick,dolphin kick,surface. EXCELLENT! I am going to try to insert the *** kick and time a quasi underwater pull IMMEDIATELY connected to the recovery. Maybe get a bonus fly kick as well. I wonder if I can get some good forward propulsion if I connect the *** kick and surge into the 1st arm pull.
  • If your eyes are on the Olympics DON'T DO IT. If its an old foggy race by all means do it. Well, George, in the end, I decided NOT to swim butterfrog in Saturday's ironman pentathlon. After racing the sprint pentathlon the last four years at the Southside Seals Pentathlon meet, I decided to go big and enter the ironman. I wanted to do it without an asterisk after my name (or in my own memory), so I raced the 400 IM (first race) and 200 fly (last race) all fly. All five races were completed in 21/4 hours-- and, without a DQ. :D I do, however, plan to try butterfrog at a future meet! ;)