Thunderstorms, indoor pools and workouts interrupted

Hey gang, I'm being watchful of the weather (and a free-lance deadline)--so I'm hoping that I don't run into the same problem as I did about a week ago. At that time, I had set out to do a pretty long workout (need the yards for my open water swim!). Unfortunately, the lifeguards chased us out of the pool b/c of hearing thunder. They told me that they'd wait a half hour, but that the clock would be reset if there was more thunder. Won't even get started on why this should be the case, but more important for my purposes is to get a sense of what you do if your schedule is tight and the time you set up for swimming a specific workout is thrown out due to something like this (heck, you can substitute other events that close pools, if you want, as the t-storm is just one way such a thing can happen). Do you wait until who knows how long and hope the pool will reopen? Do something dry-land that will at least use the swimming muscles? Bag it and decide it's not your day? (As it happened, it was last Friday and although I'm not superstitious, mostly, it seemed as if that day was full of things that went wrong. Won't go into all that.) I want--no, NEED, to make sure I'm staying abreast of the training and I hate missing time for something like that--and probably just need to plan better to go early in the morning when there are fewer thunderstorms--but that said, stuff happens (even early in the morning), so I want to have a good back-up plan--or be all Zen about it and know that over the long haul, I'll be ready. Thanks for any thoughts!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    ...sometimes there is just nothing you can do! like walking in for morning workout at 5:30am and the chemicals have gone so wrong you cant see the bottom... Or the entire UT women's team is spread out on the pool deck stretching...
  • Former Member
    One of the pools I have swum was like a glass house full of windows, and they were very strict about closing when there is even a possibility of thunder/lightning. Another pool, with few windows, never closes during thunder/lightning. Do the windows have a role in the risks? And by the way, some staff members couldn't wait to close the pool due to weather in hope they could go home earlier. They couldn't hide the smile on their faces.
  • As a metro Y member in my city, I know that different branches have different policies. One will close the indoor pool for lightning while the other will not. I've been known to wrap a towel and skedaddle across town to the other.
  • Former Member
    Hey gang, I'm being watchful of the weather (and a free-lance deadline)--so I'm hoping that I don't run into the same problem as I did about a week ago. At that time, I had set out to do a pretty long workout (need the yards for my open water swim!). Unfortunately, the lifeguards chased us out of the pool b/c of hearing thunder. They told me that they'd wait a half hour, but that the clock would be reset if there was more thunder. Won't even get started on why this should be the case, but more important for my purposes is to get a sense of what you do if your schedule is tight and the time you set up for swimming a specific workout is thrown out due to something like this (heck, you can substitute other events that close pools, if you want, as the t-storm is just one way such a thing can happen). Do you wait until who knows how long and hope the pool will reopen? Do something dry-land that will at least use the swimming muscles? Bag it and decide it's not your day? (As it happened, it was last Friday and although I'm not superstitious, mostly, it seemed as if that day was full of things that went wrong. Won't go into all that.) I want--no, NEED, to make sure I'm staying abreast of the training and I hate missing time for something like that--and probably just need to plan better to go early in the morning when there are fewer thunderstorms--but that said, stuff happens (even early in the morning), so I want to have a good back-up plan--or be all Zen about it and know that over the long haul, I'll be ready. Thanks for any thoughts! My indoor pool closes for lightning in the area (and occasionally when the guards mistake the marching band drum section's practices for thunder... :bitching:) and afternoon thunderstorms are a fact of life here from June-August. I keep dryland clothes in my bag and if the weather is likely to be bad I will just do the elliptical, treadmill, or exercise class instead. If it's iffy, I'll attempt a swim but if I get kicked out of the pool I usually just bag it and go home rather than try to wrestle into exercise clothes while damp-ish.
  • They close our swim team INDOOR pool in Elgin , il. whenever there is any lightning , then we leave & go to the indoor pool 7 miles away in Schaumburg, il. that never closes for storms ???
  • This happened to me yesterday morning. Our lifeguards have a device that looks like a handheld police scanner with a series of lights on it that act as a 30 minute countdown. When thunder or lightning is detected at some tower somewhere, all of the lights turn on. So our lifeguards have no discretion on when to shut down the pool because of storms. As long as there are lights lit up, the pool will be closed. Anyway, I hung out with the lifeguards for about 20 minutes until the "storm detector" lit up all the way again. I gave up and went into the weight room and learned how to use the weight machines. And today, I can't do anything because every muscle on my body hurts.
  • I got an uneasy feeling yesterday looking at the clouds during my workout out. I knew the weather was not quite right, just could not identify why I felt that way. Was less worried after I exited the pool I was at. abc7.com/.../Chilling tragedies: Sunday shortly before 3:00 PM – Venice FL – a man was killed and his daughter critically injured when they were struck by a disabled airplane while walking on the beach Sunday shortly before 3:00 PM – Venice CA – a man was killed and another critically injured after lightning struck Venice Beach
  • Every pool I have ever used for practice, fun, or meets has closed when there is thunder. The ONE EXCEPTION was at LC Nationals in Puerto Rico. The pool was outdoor, with a permanent roof, but no sides. I have to admit to being a little uneasy as I stood on the block for 100 breaststroke and could hear the thunder.
  • I got an uneasy feeling yesterday looking at the clouds during my workout out. I knew the weather was not quite right, just could not identify why I felt that way. Was less worried after I exited the pool I was at. abc7.com/.../
  • yes lightning (oh look i spelled it right) there is very very unusual!