Lifeguard intimidation

Former Member
Former Member
One of the reasons I hate swimming in outdoor community/development pools is the lifeguard glare you get when you come in with all your gear, prepared to swim and hour or two. :banana: I've been swimming outside for 25 years in the summer, and find that the guards are mostly all the same - texting, playing ball, sleeping, eating. Heaven forbid, they have to sit up and watch a swimmer. I feel like they really hate when I walk in because they have to actually do their job. I've treated them to lunch, ice cream, treats and some are fine, but overall, they are mostly very lazy. I tell them I had a guard cert, (I can swim better than almost all of them!), and they don't have to sit in the chair, or even watch, but I still feel the glare. I've even encountered a few occasions when the sun was shining and guards claimed they heard thunder. What happened to the good old days when guards sat in the chair and did their job without resentment? I only see that type of mentality at the indoor pools. On rainy days, they really give me the evil eye. :badday:
  • philoswimmer, I thought the same thing and wondered why they only focused on these guys. But I enjoyed the video and tried not to be disappointed that women were not included. I tried, too. But after 30 years of trying, I'm tried out. (I enjoyed the video anyway -- it was very cool. But it could have been cooler).
  • Yes, great video, thanks! But one small bone to pick: despite the impression you might get from the video, there are women lifeguards on Oahu (I checked). A bit of a sore point for me as a former beach lifeguard, but I wouldn't have thought I'd need to say that almost 30 years later...
  • I tried, too. But after 30 years of trying, I'm tried out. (I enjoyed the video anyway -- it was very cool. But it could have been cooler). Agree! Re ocean lifeguards generally--I think the bar is higher for these folks. You can't sit around flirting, texting, etc., if someone's caught in a rip current, and you'd better be able to handle ocean conditions if you're to successfully rescue someone. So they no doubt HAVE to hire people who are serious about their jobs. Pool lifeguards--kind of depends on the specific pool, I suppose, so you can get totally oblivious or serious and responsible--but you have to pay for the latter.
  • I have a good one. How about the non-existent lifeguard? No, not at a beach; it was at a city pool! I am visiting Gatlinburg, Tennessee, and the Gatlinburg Community Center indoor swimming pool had NO lifeguard on deck during my entire workout. Instead, he stayed holed-up in the office, sitting at a desk, chatting with co-workers who came in and out. There was a glass window looking out to the pool deck; however, I doubt he looked out much. I wasn't the only one in the pool either. At one point, there were several parents with their children at the far end of the pool from the office. Meanwhile, the two lap lanes were on the other side of the pool from the office, and there is no way he could have seen me at the closest end of the pool near the wall. There were dive blocks and a diving board, and I couldn't see him until I was quite distance out into my swim lane. That was a first for me!
  • That has happened to me a few times this year. Twice I was the only person in the pool, and the Lifeguard was not even in the pool office. Once the Lifeguard stated (s)he was going to get a snack, and once the Lifeguard stated (s)he was going to take a shower. I keep thinking about the liability potential if anything happens.
  • I'm fortunate in that Fairfax County lifeguards are really awesome. They man both sides of the pool at all times and there are always two at least walking the deck to keep an eye on things. I wouldn't swim in an un-manned pool because I'm not that good or confident, and I'd hate to think it would take an incident for these facilities to wake up and realize life-guarding is serious business, not just a way to make an easy buck.
  • That is automatic termination from my facility. Also, we have at least 2 guards on duty at all times. Unfortunately, many kids just see it as a summer job and don't think they are responsible for lives. Of course it doesn't help that some only get paid minimum wage. That creates even more apathy. I prefer that the people that are responsible for my life be paid well. That goes for police and firefighters as well.
  • I have spent a lot of time trying to explain to the early morning lifeguards the importance of watching the pool (seriously). Many mornings, at 5:30 am, I am the youngest person swimming (50 today!) so I think the safety issues are obvious. Nevertheless I found myself explaining how you can't sleep, shave, text, read, or wander off while guarding. Eventually, I pass it upwards. Eventually the lifeguard gets replaced and a new comes to do the same thing. I do think it is hard to many young people to see it from the safety side. Also, the non-present aquatics director doesn't help. I always try to put it in terms of safety and liability when discussing it with Y leadership.
  • That was a beautiful clip - thanks for sharing!
  • I am sad to report some of my pool life guards have let me down. In one pool a young man with autism drifted into the deep end of the pool The lifeguards were trying to get his attention by yelling at him. The young man did not respond. Since I was in the pool, and in the deep end anyway, I swam over to the young man, and towed him to the side of the pool. He was slippery, since he was covered head-to-toe with sun block. When I got him to the side of the pool the lifeguards did not pull him out. I towed the young man again to shallow water where I could stand up. By that time the lifeguards located the mother of the young man and the young man finally agreed to climb up the pool ladder and exit the pool. In another pool a young child 2 1/2 - 3 years old decided she wanted to get in the pool. This young child walked to the opposite side of the pool from her parent. She sat down, and slid herself into the pool. Myself and another pool patron jumped into the pool and pulled the young child out of the pool. I am also sad to report that the young child was the daughter of the swim coach. The lifeguard was not on the pool deck, and most likely did not see this incident, because I fully expected the lifeguard to come racing out of the pool office, but did that did not happen. Shame on the Swim Coach for not being aware of his own daughter, and Shame on the lifeguard for sleeping on the job.