500 free - what stroke/s are acceptable? Can I mix them?

Former Member
Former Member
I'm doing some 500's, have always done what most call freestyle. Can I ever mix in other strokes? Do I need to do the same stroke throughout? I'd love to do some backstroke during it. Am also aiming for an 800. I've read the rulebook and either not understood or not seen an answer to my questions. Thanks! I've only been racing 3 years. Debra, Ohio :)
  • I think you can do whatever you want as long as the turns & stroke are legel. Yes, but it's "freestyle" so that means everything is legal. You could do sidestroke or corkscrew if you wanted. As Allen mentioned, the only real rule is you must surface by the 15 meter mark.
  • I think you can do whatever you want as long as the turns & stroke are legel. I have seen swimmers do an IM or fly or back.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Apparently, doing a 500 all Fly is offensive to some. forums.usms.org/showthread.php
  • Former Member
    Thanks, Chowmi. Once I realized you were at usaswimming and not usms, I found what it wanted. The following was included: 3. Choice of strokes during freestyle events Question: I told a swimmer that she could not do the 200 IM during the 200 free because once a stroke is selected in a freestyle event, you cannot change to another stroke during the race. The swimmer’s coach insisted I was wrong. Who was right? Answer: The coach was correct. In an event designated as freestyle, the swimmer may swim any style (101.5.2). There are no restrictions about changing the style of swimming during a freestyle event. The only restriction regarding style is during the freestyle portion of a medley event; in a medley relay or individual medley event, freestyle means any style other than butterfly, breaststroke or backstroke (101.5.2). Again there is no restriction about changing the style of swimming during the freestyle portion of the medley event. Regardless of the stroke(s) used, times achieved in freestyle events can be recorded only as freestyle times (103.12.2).
  • Former Member
    Thanks, Arthur. Good to know if I ever have 2 per lane, which is possible this summer when I do an 800.
  • Former Member
    I wish I'd kept it, Orca- I read the strokes and turns do not have to be legal in freestyle. Turns just have to happen. So "sloppy" swimming should be acceptable.
  • Former Member
    What all this means for me is that, if I want to do some back stroke in pool distance race, I can. My backstroke loses me little time (I'm a so-so freestyler, better at back) and gives me a break, should I choose to do so. Oh well, more to work on.
  • 500 of fly would be offensive if I attempted it:eek:
  • YES it's freestyle feel FREE to pick your STYLE of stroke most elect the crawl