More "so and so shouldn't be allowed to set a record" babble

There's a story on swimswam (swimswam.com/.../) about Anthony Ervin swimming at USMS Nationals and the first comment states: There is nothing better than going to a USMS meet and seeing swimmers like Anthony Ervin compete. It makes you feel like a 12 year old fan again! In the same breath I will ask; what is the point of letting their times count as USMS records? They are professional two-a-day swimmers in the same age group categories as young professionals who might make a few practices per week. There is no way real Masters swimmers are able to train to be able to beat them. The professional swimmers wouldn’t be able to beat themselves with the same schedule afforded to the a real Masters swimmer. Thoughts? My thoughts are that this is ridiculous. Anyone who is registered in USMS has as much right to set a record as anyone else. Who exactly is the arbiter of what a "real masters swimmer" is?
  • When has life ever been fair? I have yet to hear a real and legit reason why anyone shouldn't be allowed to swim in Masters meets if they are age eligible. Just because they might break records? So might a bunch of other people. Records are made to be broken.
  • I am going to go ahead and play devil's advocate. I do not have a problem with a retired world class swimmer breaking records at a master's meet, but a professional swimmer training for world class competition is unfair in all levels. Why is a world class swimmer midway through his prime swimming at a master's meet? Is he/she using the meet as a trial run before a bigger meet? In that case why not swim at short course/long course regions, or another sponsored United States Swimming meet? Why a USMS meet and not a USS meet? That is the question.
  • Reversal of elites: forums.usms.org/showthread.php Hey! I was just going to post what if I went and tromped all the records when I turn 50, ask whether or not it would be in bad form to compete in State and National senior olympics, and whether the meet would be recognized for USMS top ten. Notice that in 2015, swimming won't overlap with pickleball, yee hah! Thoughts?
  • Reversal of elites: forums.usms.org/showthread.php That's a good one. I don't recall seeing that back when it was first posted. To me this seems like a swimming take on George Carlin's bit about driving (everyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and everyone faster is a maniac). The swimming corollary is "how dare they let all those jerks who are faster than me swim!"
  • That's a good one. I don't recall seeing that back when it was first posted. To me this seems like a swimming take on George Carlin's bit about driving (everyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and everyone faster is a maniac). The swimming corollary is "how dare they let all those jerks who are faster than me swim!" I was thinking more like stuff and sxxt? It's probably because you were such a young sprite that being age 50 didn't compute just yet. But now, it's only 4+ years until I am 50, so I have researched the records and even looked up how to play pickleball and who i'd want as my pickleball partner, in the event I want to maximize my trip to 2015 National Senior Games (after qualifying at Texas State).
  • I was thinking more like stuff and sxxt? You got me. I've got no idea what that means.
  • I say let anyone race who's check or credit card clears into USMS!! Of course we all self-select and mental group ourselves. What category are you in? It seems silly to limit USMS for those "too elite". But it does bug me to hear high level elites asking the meet director if she will hold the meet while he goes and gets a hamburger.