Training for the 200 ***

I need some advice on how to train for the 200 Yard Breaststroke. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Speaking as someone who's best event is, theoretically, the 200 ***, here's my 2c worth. I say 'theoretically' because it's only true if I've done the work... I fully agree with what Allen has said. Stoke count and tempo are critical. I know that I'm 8 strokes per 25m for 100m, and 7 for 200m. Therefore, I train at race 'pace' according to stroke count more than what the clock says. I find that the only way to swim 200m is to be right on pace, which means as fast as you can go without putting the same effort in as you do on the 100m. Sounds obvious, but it takes practice. As a masters swimmer, my theory for 200 *** is: Go out too fast, you're a dead man. Go out too slow, you'll still drop off in the 2nd 100, and end up with a crappy time. I used to be able to even split a reasonable 200. Not any more. No chance. My mistakes over the years as a masters in 200m, as well as going too slow, have been to go out with the right stroke count, but without the right amount of feel/pressure on the stroke. I've swum the right tempo and length but without applying the right pressure and that just means going out slower than expected and dying anyway. This means that you have to practice with the same conviction and consistency. Conditioning is still anaerobic, but it is worth doing some longer sets on *** if your knees are up to it. Not only will you gain some aerobic endurance but you have more opportunity to practice holding your stroke together when tired. This is the critical element on 200 ***. I firmly believe in doing gym work, but because *** is a power stroke anyway, more pool time spent doing *** will help. I do gym work at high intensity, in circuits where I recreate that feeling of not being able to hold it together. Core work is also important, because 'holding it together' means holding your glide while working hard and getting tired. The other thing that is critical is getting maximum distance on your breakouts in training, even when you are tired - because your lungs will be screaming at you not to, on the last 50 of a 200. That said, I'd love to come to the US and do a 200m yards. It sounds like a lot of fun cutting the most painful 20m off the swim!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Speaking as someone who's best event is, theoretically, the 200 ***, here's my 2c worth. I say 'theoretically' because it's only true if I've done the work... I fully agree with what Allen has said. Stoke count and tempo are critical. I know that I'm 8 strokes per 25m for 100m, and 7 for 200m. Therefore, I train at race 'pace' according to stroke count more than what the clock says. I find that the only way to swim 200m is to be right on pace, which means as fast as you can go without putting the same effort in as you do on the 100m. Sounds obvious, but it takes practice. As a masters swimmer, my theory for 200 *** is: Go out too fast, you're a dead man. Go out too slow, you'll still drop off in the 2nd 100, and end up with a crappy time. I used to be able to even split a reasonable 200. Not any more. No chance. My mistakes over the years as a masters in 200m, as well as going too slow, have been to go out with the right stroke count, but without the right amount of feel/pressure on the stroke. I've swum the right tempo and length but without applying the right pressure and that just means going out slower than expected and dying anyway. This means that you have to practice with the same conviction and consistency. Conditioning is still anaerobic, but it is worth doing some longer sets on *** if your knees are up to it. Not only will you gain some aerobic endurance but you have more opportunity to practice holding your stroke together when tired. This is the critical element on 200 ***. I firmly believe in doing gym work, but because *** is a power stroke anyway, more pool time spent doing *** will help. I do gym work at high intensity, in circuits where I recreate that feeling of not being able to hold it together. Core work is also important, because 'holding it together' means holding your glide while working hard and getting tired. The other thing that is critical is getting maximum distance on your breakouts in training, even when you are tired - because your lungs will be screaming at you not to, on the last 50 of a 200. That said, I'd love to come to the US and do a 200m yards. It sounds like a lot of fun cutting the most painful 20m off the swim!
Children
No Data