Is it too late . . .

I always have good intentions, but often do not follow through on them. THUS: I have signed up for the 400 IM in 2.5 weeks (the 0.5 being critical) without really having trained for it. To put it politely. My team mostly trains freestyle, so I have a good freestyle base. In the last 4 weeks I have gone to the pool twice (woo hoo) on my own and done sets of 50s of stroke on 1:00. 8 x 50 to be exact, twice through, both times. Twice at practice in the last month I have made myself do fly instead of free for warmup, and once I made myself do stroke (IM) (100s) instead of free on the free interval. Yesterday we had a heavy stroke workout, rare. After yesterday's practice I did my second 400 IM in 7 years, with a wonderful time of 7:10. SO: What's the reality of any time dropped in the next 1.5 weeks? What tack would people in my position take (please be kind). I signed up as a dare. I *had* thought I would be *self-disciplined* and train on my own but *I have learned I am not.* Input appreciated! P.S. For those of you with kids struggling with college entrance essays, I think this would be a great essay if you changed all the "I didn't do it even though I planned to" to "I am so proud of my self-discipline," etc., etc., "my ability to motivate myself for my own high challenges," etc. etc. etc., "I pushed myself without outside coercion," etc., etc., "This is a trait I was surprised to see that I have, and I have become much more confident in this, my senior year, in my ability to meet challenges head-on." "Swimming has made me a better person." "I am a good person." "I am just who you want in your freshman class." Swimming has made ME a better person too but apparently I am still lagging in the self-motivation arena. I would like to break 7 minutes in the 400 IM. I would mostly like not to die in the fly, which is my fastest, after free, but in which I die after a nice brisk 50. Fast is relative. Please also keep that in mind with any comments. izzzzzzzzy P.P.S. I now know that real men swimmers and all men moisturize and use lip balm because they are now doing it on the T here in Boston. So the stigma is gone, dudes. You can lather up on public transportation. Swim on, excellent forumites!!!!!
Parents
  • What's the reality of any time dropped in the next 1.5 weeks? You most likely will experience a time drop from practice to a meet. What tack would people in my position take (please be kind).Don’t sweat it. Swim your race and enjoy it. Try to fine tune the little things (turns, breakouts, etc.) but don’t sweat the big stuff. It’s never too late.
  • What's the reality of any time dropped in the next 1.5 weeks? You most likely will experience a time drop from practice to a meet. What tack would people in my position take (please be kind).Don’t sweat it. Swim your race and enjoy it. Try to fine tune the little things (turns, breakouts, etc.) but don’t sweat the big stuff. It’s never too late.
Children
No Data