indoor pool air quality and feeling bad

Has any one else experienced this? During a two day meet, the first day I felt fine, the second day I felt awful. I was wondering if air quality could be an issue or some other random thing. Its always a second day thing. Anybody else experience this? Any tips on what to do?
Parents
  • Here's a comment in the SwimSwam article linked above (by "Hulk Swim", not me btw): I did some math while in Greensboro. Let’s say 1/3 of the kids peed in the pool each session- that’s conservative. Each time leaving a cup of urine. Over the course of the three day meet, that’s 2,000 cups of pee. 1) gross 2) not sure any system can handle that In conclusion… stop pissing in the pool. 2000 cups is 125 GALLONS. That changes pool chemistry. And like "Hulk Swim" said, that 125 gallons is probably a conservative estimate. I've noticed many changes in swimming and in pool culture since I came back to swimming regularly after a 30+ year break. What surprised me the most was how acceptable it is to pee in the pool. A college swimmer told me recently that her coach told the team to pee in the gutter at a meet instead of trying to get in and out of their tech suits. I understand the tech suit on/off issue. But it would be a lot more sanitary to pee in the shower. And it wouldn't affect the pool chemistry. As swimmers we are the ones being affected (breathing issues, unnecessarily poor performances) by pool air quality caused by bad pool chemistry. If we are contributing to this, as seems clear from the articles pwb gave links to, we can do our part by just NOT PEEING IN THE POOL. It seems that this is one pool culture issue that should go retro, and become unacceptable again. Let's get the word out, please!I agree urine in the pool is disgusting, but I believe it has a minor direct impact on the air quality. Chemicals (possibly because of urine) and ventilation are the major factors. A 50m x 25yd x 8ft = 99,000 cu.ft., with 7.48 gall. per cu.ft. the pool would have 776,160 gal., 125 represents .016%
  • Here's a comment in the SwimSwam article linked above (by "Hulk Swim", not me btw): I did some math while in Greensboro. Let’s say 1/3 of the kids peed in the pool each session- that’s conservative. Each time leaving a cup of urine. Over the course of the three day meet, that’s 2,000 cups of pee. 1) gross 2) not sure any system can handle that In conclusion… stop pissing in the pool. 2000 cups is 125 GALLONS. That changes pool chemistry. And like "Hulk Swim" said, that 125 gallons is probably a conservative estimate. I've noticed many changes in swimming and in pool culture since I came back to swimming regularly after a 30+ year break. What surprised me the most was how acceptable it is to pee in the pool. A college swimmer told me recently that her coach told the team to pee in the gutter at a meet instead of trying to get in and out of their tech suits. I understand the tech suit on/off issue. But it would be a lot more sanitary to pee in the shower. And it wouldn't affect the pool chemistry. As swimmers we are the ones being affected (breathing issues, unnecessarily poor performances) by pool air quality caused by bad pool chemistry. If we are contributing to this, as seems clear from the articles pwb gave links to, we can do our part by just NOT PEEING IN THE POOL. It seems that this is one pool culture issue that should go retro, and become unacceptable again. Let's get the word out, please!I agree urine in the pool is disgusting, but I believe it has a minor direct impact on the air quality. Chemicals (possibly because of urine) and ventilation are the major factors. A 50m x 25yd x 8ft = 99,000 cu.ft., with 7.48 gall. per cu.ft. the pool would have 776,160 gal., 125 represents .016%
Children
No Data