Have you drowned and been revived--or know someone who has?

Working on an article about men and drowning and would love to interview somebody who "drowned" (lost consciousness, inhaled water into the lungs, the whole catastrophe) and was then resuscitated and recovered fully. Ideally, this person has the following characteristics: Male gender, and the incident occurred sometime between the ages of 18 and 45 Some boneheaded macho behavior--a dare, perhaps, or desire to impress female onlookers, or alcohol involvement--would be a definite (though not absolutely necessary) plus No residual brain damage or memory loss to impair said guy's ability to describe the physical and emotional process (including phases, if there were phases) of what it really feels like to drown A willingness to relive, in som detail, what I can only imagine is a less than comfortable episode If you fit the above bill, or know someone who might, could you please get in touch with me at jamesthornton1@comcast.net Please note: I'm not joking here, it's for a Men's Health article next summer, and it has the potential to help some readers avoid a form of mayhem that is much more likely to befall men than women. I am hoping to interview Cullen Jones, but his own close call occurred in childhood, and I need to find someone who came close to drowning in young adulthood to middle age. If you have had any moments of in-the-water panic, even if you didn't lose consciousness and need to be revived, but still thought you were going to die, I invite you to describe what happened here. Thanks!
Parents
  • I've lost consciousness in the water due to a chronic medical condition; was rescued before the drowning became permanent. Also had experience of option 2: panicked the first time I went open water swimming in rough conditions. Was never in any real danger and got myself back to shore.
  • I've lost consciousness in the water due to a chronic medical condition; was rescued before the drowning became permanent. Also had experience of option 2: panicked the first time I went open water swimming in rough conditions. Was never in any real danger and got myself back to shore.
Children
No Data