Shoulder surgery scheduled...looking for advice

I have a 75% tear of my rotator cuff that I am having repaired arthroscopically next month. I am looking for any suggestions from folks who have survived shoulder injuries on pain management, sleep techniques, icing options, etc. Dos and Don'ts of recovery would be great, too. Thanks! Danielle
  • Recliner to sleep in is a big one!
  • I am now 5 weeks post-op (still not sleeping well--it's 1:55 am here), and my doctor gave me clearance to get back in the water, which I am excited about. Not to swim as I know it-- my hand has to stay below my shoulder, but right now I couldn't raise it above if I tried anyway. I am thinking of going to free swim for 30 minutes during my daughter's synchro practice and leisurely kicking on my back and maybe doing some gentle egg beatering and/or sculling. For rotator cuff folks, what did you do during your first "swims"? I am still struggling with very tight and tired traps, especially on the surgery side. That is why I am having trouble sleeping. It's hard to get in a position where my neck isn't uncomfortable. My PT has provided some relief with McConnell tape, and we'll start with kinesio tape this week. I am hoping some gentle time in the pool will help, too. again, thank you to everyone who has taken the time to share advice with me here. Danielle
  • I am thinking of going to free swim for 30 minutes during my daughter's synchro practice and leisurely kicking on my back and maybe doing some gentle egg beatering and/or sculling. For rotator cuff folks, what did you do during your first "swims"? Danielle I went in the pool at 3 weeks as soon as my incisions were healed. For the first few weeks I kept my surgical arm down, across my belly, tucking my fingers in the bottom of my suit to keep it still. I did vertical kicking plus kicking on my back and then one arm swimming. It felt so good to move in the water. When I was released to move my arm I added gentle vertical sculling, like treading water but keeping my elbow at my side. I did a lot of "second quadrant" sculling of all types next and then "first quadrant" movement. I think all of that early movement in addition to the prescribed PT really helped my recovery and it certainly helped my mood!
  • start with using full fins and over a month switch to burners
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I feel your pain, Danielle. I'm 4 weeks post-op. Sleeping is the worst. And loss of stamina is frustrating. Previous suggestions all sound spot-on to me. Congrats on being allowed to get back in the water. Hydotherapy is probably the best thing for you.
  • I feel your pain, Danielle. I'm 4 weeks post-op. Sleeping is the worst. And loss of stamina is frustrating. Previous suggestions all sound spot-on to me. Congrats on being allowed to get back in the water. Hydotherapy is probably the best thing for you. ruffwater--hang in there. I am cheering for you from Seattle--one-handed, of course! I am out of the sling and bolster but still not sleeping great. Part of the problem is that I broke the elbow on the same arm in highschool. It was improperly put in a cast and now I can't straighten that arm. So lying on my back, my hand can't rest on the bed and my poor biceps (where the tendon got shortened a bit during the surgery also) can't "turn off". I still have not been in the pool yet. The trip to the pool is 6:30 to 10:00 PM on a PT day and I have been too tired to get myself going. I keep saying next week. I really miss endorphins, danielle