Question about water in the nose

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I just registered. I live in EU, but I just wanted to ask some pro's about this. So, I tried swimming underwater dolphin kick on my back today and it went quite well after a few tries, after I had gotten used to having water up in the nose. My question though is if this can be applied to diving as well. The local swimming pools deepest basin is 13 feet deep and I can almost dive to the very bottom of the pool by holding my nose and trying to equalize the pressure (needs some more work though, it's as if water is getting through my ears or something). So, when I'm used to having water up in the nose, can I just fill my entire head with water for an equal amount of pressure on it, or would the breath-holding-thing in the throat give up because of the pressure and I'll drown? I'm asking because I'd rather not have to wear a diving mask, just goggles, but if that's the way I have to go, I guess there's no way around it. I'm not going to do any freediving, just random diving to 30 feet or so (for dolphins in the future, I'm training hard)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    What sounds painfull? Having water in the sinus or using goggles at deep depths? I haven't done either, hence the reason I asked here. However, swimming on the back underwater takes only a few tries before you're fully used to having water in the nose. Now I can do a flip turn without having to blow air out of my nose. It's incredibly helpful training.
  • OK ____ 2 different water related sports need different equipment.goggles for swimming near the surface. If you want to go deeper a good mask with a nose area that you can pinch to relive pressure & a dump valve to remove water that might get into the mask.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Yeah, I know that already. If you look at the dates you'll see when my initial question was asked. I just extended the diving question a bit because I wanted to know about the safety of my ears. But I have to ask an additional question now; How does a dump valve work in a diving mask? You have to make more pressure on the inside than the outside of the mask for the water to get away right? If so, how deep can you dive before it's impossible, as in, how much air pressure can one generate with their lungs?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I've got another question just now. If you use earplugs of some sort that really seals off the ear, do you need to equalize pressure when diving? How much will the ability to hear be reduced? Can you even hear at all underwater with earplugs? If the above is true, how deep can you dive before the pressure gets so big that the earplugs themselves are getting an issue?
  • They're gorgeous but having cycling shoes (or any shoes) in the water seems like a real drag... Those lunocet fins look cool. I had a pair of SIDI shoes last 15 years