Personal training for swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I am considering getting some personal training sessions this spring but I'm not sure what sort of training would be most beneficial. I've been working on improving my core strength and I think that helped. My focus events are distance freestyle and backstroke but I would like to improve my short-axis strokes. I have pretty good uppper body strength already and don't want to bulk up. I can tell that my left knee is weaker than my right and my breaststroke kick is imbalanced. Ideally I would like to improve my SDKs and power off starts and walls. And, of course, I'd like to look better in my bathing suit. :D Recommendations?
Parents
  • I am considering getting some personal training sessions this spring but I'm not sure what sort of training would be most beneficial. I've been working on improving my core strength and I think that helped. My focus events are distance freestyle and backstroke but I would like to improve my short-axis strokes. Recommendations? First, you should know that there are no studies showing improved distance swim performance with strength training you might do in a gym. There IS a study showing improved 50 meter swim performance with strength training www.lakeshoreswimclub.com/.../EFFECTS OF DRY-LAND VS_ RESISTED- AND.pdf Importantly, in keeping with a theme that has played out over the past 6ish years or so, the exercises performed were heavy resistance, 3 sets of 6 at 80 to 90% of 1 repetition maximum. This accords well with the limited data from running and cycling that also show improved performance in experienced athletes but also using the same type of high resistance work. This is in contrast to much previous work using the more generic 2 sets of 10 to 12 reps that is often used as a starting point. The preponderance of studies with trained athletes from the 80s was using more of the 2 sets of 10 type model and most of those showed no gains. Unfortunately there are very few studies showing positive performance gains in swimming from strength training, and none that I have ever seen for distance swimming. A GOOD, performance oriented trainer should know this. A wellness-oriented trainer might or might not. So if you use a trainer, get one that the ATHLETES like and understand that while the strength training will have benefits for you all on its own, strength training is a good thing to do, improved swim performance may not be one of the benefits you see.
  • I am considering getting some personal training sessions this spring but I'm not sure what sort of training would be most beneficial. I've been working on improving my core strength and I think that helped. My focus events are distance freestyle and backstroke but I would like to improve my short-axis strokes. Recommendations? First, you should know that there are no studies showing improved distance swim performance with strength training you might do in a gym. There IS a study showing improved 50 meter swim performance with strength training www.lakeshoreswimclub.com/.../EFFECTS OF DRY-LAND VS_ RESISTED- AND.pdf Importantly, in keeping with a theme that has played out over the past 6ish years or so, the exercises performed were heavy resistance, 3 sets of 6 at 80 to 90% of 1 repetition maximum. This accords well with the limited data from running and cycling that also show improved performance in experienced athletes but also using the same type of high resistance work. This is in contrast to much previous work using the more generic 2 sets of 10 to 12 reps that is often used as a starting point. The preponderance of studies with trained athletes from the 80s was using more of the 2 sets of 10 type model and most of those showed no gains. Unfortunately there are very few studies showing positive performance gains in swimming from strength training, and none that I have ever seen for distance swimming. A GOOD, performance oriented trainer should know this. A wellness-oriented trainer might or might not. So if you use a trainer, get one that the ATHLETES like and understand that while the strength training will have benefits for you all on its own, strength training is a good thing to do, improved swim performance may not be one of the benefits you see.
Children
No Data