Personal training for swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I am considering getting some personal training sessions this spring but I'm not sure what sort of training would be most beneficial. I've been working on improving my core strength and I think that helped. My focus events are distance freestyle and backstroke but I would like to improve my short-axis strokes. I have pretty good uppper body strength already and don't want to bulk up. I can tell that my left knee is weaker than my right and my breaststroke kick is imbalanced. Ideally I would like to improve my SDKs and power off starts and walls. And, of course, I'd like to look better in my bathing suit. :D Recommendations?
Parents
  • Good points, and something I had thought about a little bit. I actually just returned from a meeting over at the Rec and as I had a few extra minutes I talked to my friend who is the exercise physiologist there. She said that she doesn't know much about swimming and she didn't think offhand that any of the current trainers have much experience with it. I am very fortunate to have found a physical therapist who happens to be a breaststroker on GAJA! I had my first appointment with her yesterday and she was quickly able to identify muscle imbalances and prescribe exercises to correct them. We're starting with my shoulders and will cover lower body next appointment. Hopefully, I will finally be able to do something with my right leg, so I don't keep injuring it swimming breaststroke! I agree with Sojerz about Swimming Anatomy. It is an excellent book! Good luck, ekw. And, congratulations on your preliminary Top Ten! :applaud:
  • Good points, and something I had thought about a little bit. I actually just returned from a meeting over at the Rec and as I had a few extra minutes I talked to my friend who is the exercise physiologist there. She said that she doesn't know much about swimming and she didn't think offhand that any of the current trainers have much experience with it. I am very fortunate to have found a physical therapist who happens to be a breaststroker on GAJA! I had my first appointment with her yesterday and she was quickly able to identify muscle imbalances and prescribe exercises to correct them. We're starting with my shoulders and will cover lower body next appointment. Hopefully, I will finally be able to do something with my right leg, so I don't keep injuring it swimming breaststroke! I agree with Sojerz about Swimming Anatomy. It is an excellent book! Good luck, ekw. And, congratulations on your preliminary Top Ten! :applaud:
Children
No Data