Personal training for swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I am considering getting some personal training sessions this spring but I'm not sure what sort of training would be most beneficial. I've been working on improving my core strength and I think that helped. My focus events are distance freestyle and backstroke but I would like to improve my short-axis strokes. I have pretty good uppper body strength already and don't want to bulk up. I can tell that my left knee is weaker than my right and my breaststroke kick is imbalanced. Ideally I would like to improve my SDKs and power off starts and walls. And, of course, I'd like to look better in my bathing suit. :D Recommendations?
Parents
  • Recommendations? I think you are doing fabulously well on your own. There are not all that many people who can train themselves to a national top ten time in an endurance event. You are already a pretty fit customer. What value added does a personal trainer bring to the party? If you know someone who is really, really good, who understands your athletic goals, and can cost effectively design a set of efficient and effective exercises to help you reach them, then maybe you can justify the cost. But pretenders are all-too-common in the personal trainer business, and you can easily wind up wasting your money. Caveat emptor. Personal trainers who understand swimming are rare. If you can find someone knowledgeable and trustworthy, then maybe they can help. Personally, I'm skeptical.
  • Recommendations? I think you are doing fabulously well on your own. There are not all that many people who can train themselves to a national top ten time in an endurance event. You are already a pretty fit customer. What value added does a personal trainer bring to the party? If you know someone who is really, really good, who understands your athletic goals, and can cost effectively design a set of efficient and effective exercises to help you reach them, then maybe you can justify the cost. But pretenders are all-too-common in the personal trainer business, and you can easily wind up wasting your money. Caveat emptor. Personal trainers who understand swimming are rare. If you can find someone knowledgeable and trustworthy, then maybe they can help. Personally, I'm skeptical.
Children
No Data