People who are already over 100 and 200 miles for the year?!

Hi! I joined the USMS FLOG (love the acronym...) at the end of January. I am excited about the prizes for various milestones! However, I noticed some people are already at 100 or 200 miles for the year. Holy moly! I thought I swam a lot! Are any of these people reading? Why such high yardage? How do you structure your week? Singles, doubles? Intrigued. Allison
  • Look on the bright side - at least you don't have the imaginary hangover I do! :eek: Ah, geeez, ekw; you need to start working on that imagination of yours! :agree: Surely, you can imagine something better than that! :afraid:
  • I'm at 60 miles for the year; on pace for my goal of 475 miles. Since joining USMS in 2010 and setting a goal of 250 miles for the year, I have increased (and surpassed) my goal each year. But, I think I have reached the maximum of what my body :cane: can handle. Like Chris Stevenson, I need to taper for multiple meets each year. For me, it has become a necessity to avoid new repetitive stress injuries and preventing old non-swimming AND swimming injuries from coming back to haunt me. Once again, I'm walking (or swimming) a fine line with breaststroke and trying to keep my leg healthy. My coach has declared me a "distance swimmer", better suited for distance events than sprint. I just hope my body can live up to the title as I train for Mission Viejo Nats.! On Tuesday, I have a PT apt./ evaluation with Skippy Mattson, a competitive USMS swimmer, based in Atlanta. I have a feeling I'm going to really need it after a full slate of events (8, including 200 fly, 400 IM, 200 ***, and 500 free) and four relays at Auburn! :bolt:
  • What? no 5 x 200 fly? Come on! Live a little. ;) Seriously though, that's a crazy awesome set. Good luck and have fun! I'll be lucky to make it through the 100 fly in those 400 IMs; but maybe some day!
  • forums.usms.org/.../quote_icon.png Originally Posted by fatboy forums.usms.org/.../viewpost-right.png Kudos to all the hi-milers out there. I peronally have a hard time believing that anyone would inflate their mileage in GTD. I can't see why you would do that. When I enter my workouts it asks for time spent. It would be interesting to see this total up and listed along with the mileage in the total results. That is really nice of you. I on the other hand think the exact opposite. People cheat all the time for reasons only they can understand. This has nothing to do with GTD, just my observation... That might work - I supposed it would help if the total time seemed way too fast for the yardage. I compute time by multipying 1 min 30 sec per 100 yards, as my fast sets are 1:10-1:15/100 and my kicking is slow, so I reason 1:30 is a good time. I think some people (and I am thinking of my triathlon forum) "inflate" their time by putting whatever amt of time they were in the pool... so if they did 6 x 100 on 4:00 they'd call it 24 min, nto add up the splits for the 100s. Of course some of those people seem to log every single down dog as a separate workout
  • I think it's great for people who want to to set goals of 1000 mi/yr or what ever,or setting a goal to swim the channel etc.Anything that gets you moving is better than sitting still.I personally have some problems with my own relationship to GTD. My goal is basically to swim breaststroke faster than last year.(That is my goal every year,since I am getting older I obviously don't succeed frequently.)To do this I need to do a fair amount of HIT with longer rest intervals. That's fine except for the voice in my head that says if I swam less intensely i could go on shorter intervals and add to my GTD. Why go for the mesh bag when you could go for the swimsuit(at the expense of a faster 100 BR in my case.)
  • Wow! More power to ya!! I just couldn't see myself doing that, especially in a solo setting. I'm sure I could complete it, but it would hurt on my intervals. And I honestly doubt my age group coach would ever assign us anything like that either. It'll be a total torture fest, but I'm not doing all the 200s free; my sets will be 5 x 200 free, 5 x 200 back, 5 x 200 ***, 5 x 200 back, 5 x 200 free. The intervals will be 3:30 for free, 4:00 for back and 4:15 for ***. Which is pretty short rest (:15-:25) when I'm swimming LT pace.
  • That is really nice of you. I on the other hand think the exact opposite. People cheat all the time for reasons only they can understand. This has nothing to do with GTD, just my observation... Then I offer you the same, come and swim with me and see if I cheat or if you're capable of swimming my distances!
  • It'll be a total torture fest, but I'm not doing all the 200s free; my sets will be 5 x 200 free, 5 x 200 back, 5 x 200 ***, 5 x 200 back, 5 x 200 free. The intervals will be 3:30 for free, 4:00 for back and 4:15 for ***. Which is pretty short rest (:15-:25) when I'm swimming LT pace. What? no 5 x 200 fly? Come on! Live a little. ;) Seriously though, that's a crazy awesome set. Good luck and have fun!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    Yes, I agree. I support them fully. I did not want to swim that far, so I just joined a Catalina Channel Relay. I was also a support crew member on a solo Catalina Channel Crossing. My channel swimming friends are awesome :)
  • John, I'm not sure that comment was directed at you. And people do cheat. During the early 90's there was a woman in my age group who would kick butt on the hour and 10K postals. But her pace per 100 on the hour swim was faster than her documented 500 free time and her pace on the 10K was faster than her documented 1,500 time. What satisfaction she derived from her victories and records is an alien concept to many of us. I am curious about your training. Do you split up your daily yardage or are you swimming it all in one workout? Are you primarily grinding out yards or do you do specific interval training? All free or a mix of strokes? Do you take any days off? And are you retired/working part time or are you fitting your swimming into full work day? At the intensity that I swim, the most I can manage in 4000-4500 meters five times per week. But hats off to you!