Swim Coaches in Trouble

A thread to share news, stories, and comments about swim coaches in trouble Mark Schubert Faces Lawsuit For Wrongful Termination Amid Allegations of Sexual Misconduct By Another Coach - Full Complaint Available; USA Swimming Updated Response -- September 18, 2012 "The lawsuit was filed by attorney Robert Allard on Rianda's behalf." Summons Mon Sep 17, 2012 “Schubert, Former Olympic Team Coach, Sued for Protecting Swim Coach from Sex Abuse Charges” USA Swimming Responds to Statements in Mark Schubert Lawsuit USSwimNscandal.com We are the watchdog group for USA Swimming. Our objectives are to protect athletes and end corruption from the leaders Rick Curl Permanently Banned from USA Swimming September 19, 2012 Currin's attorney, Robert Allard, released the following statement to Swimming World Kelley's NPR Interview Aug 10, 2012 Widespread Sex Abuse of Young Female Swimmers Continues To Plague USA Swimming there's now even a legal specialty Swim Coach Sexual Abuse Lawyers B. Robert Allard USA SWIMMING'S SAFE SPORT PROGRAMMING INDIVIDUALS PERMANENTLY SUSPENDED OR INELIGIBLE USA SWIMMING SAFE SPORT ABUSE REPORTING FORM . .
  • Child abuse isn't a temptation. It's a crime. What is amazing is that people marginalize the impact by referring to it as a temptation and that it is amazing that it doesn't happen more often. The act is a crime, the setting is the temptation, to some. They are not the same thing. Society used to silently condone this behavior. In fact, Michael's argument about temptation excused the older men and stigmatized the young women when this kind of thing occurred. It seems kind of harsh that these older coaches are getting called out now when no one seemed to care 30+ years ago. And, yet, when I think of how they've affected young athletes' lives, it's not harsh at all. Society has never condoned this behavior, although what was done was usually less public than now. My "argument" excusing older men does not exist. The victims (mostly girls) were described as that, victims. Just because there were no forums on which to anonymously rant in the 1970s does not mean no one cared. Because it is such a traumatic personal experience, sometimes the authorities were not called, the coach was just fired and went elsewhere. I would guess that they (the coaches) were even given good references in order to avoid lawsuits and keep the coach far away. This was to protect the victims, although it apparently did not in some cases, owing to the behavioral and psychological problems some have reported. This is probably due to the lack of closure, even though that would have been devastating to the young victims at the time.
  • Perhaps so. Do you think you will find them on the forums? Just how do you think USMS should go about investigating the atrocities promulgated by these coaches? There are a lot of lurkers on these forums. People who rarely, if ever post. Perhaps bringing light to the topic will empower a victim to speak up. There are teenagers who peruse and occasionally post here. Again, seeing coaches being disciplined may help give a young swimmer the courage to speak up. I don't know that USMS has a responsibility to investigate USAS or NCAA coaches unless they are USMS coaches too (an issue of jurisdiction?). But I reiterate, discussing it here awakens the reader to the issue, the masters swimmer can be vigilant with their own children or their friends' children, or if they were a victim in the past, they may be able to heal, learning it wasn't their fault.
  • The act is a crime, the setting is the temptation, to some. They are not the same thing. And it's a setting that's conducive to predatory behavior by those who commit these kind of crimes, just like any other setting where adults in positions of power can easily create situations where they're alone with children. These predators are not going to just go away, so we need to find ways to make sure the situations don't happen.
  • Society has never condoned this behavior, although what was done was usually less public than now. My "argument" excusing older men does not exist. The victims (mostly girls) were described as that, victims. I should clarify. When the girls were 11 years old, I don't think guys got away with much IF things became public. When girls were older than that, say 15 or 16, I think people quickly turned their heads, thus, condoning the behavior by not condemning it. Read Suzette Moran's story. Look at how many older coaches got away with multiple relationships with teenaged swimmers. Listen to rock music from the 70's - 16 year olds were desired - not off limits to older guys.
  • I don't know. I don't think men are truly as incapable of resisting temptation as our culture likes to tell them they are. Perhaps you should have ended with your first sentence. I was remarking on the fact that there are so many coaches that do, in fact, resist temptation.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Does anyone have mr curl's prison booking photo? I thought in the 1980s and still think he and some other coaches were arrogant jerks.
  • Former Member
    I read the victim's statement and have a remark on the culture of mid 1980s curl swim club I recall t shirts with the phrase 'curl girls go faster' worn by a female teammate/h.s. Classmate. This is of course a double entendre.
  • Former Member
    Mr curl's current whereabouts www.dpscs.state.md.us/.../search.do
  • Tualatin Hills Swim Club removes Paul Bergen's name from swim meet following abuse allegations www.oregonlive.com/.../tualatin_hills_swim_club_remov.html
  • Accuser Moran: Banning Ivey Was the Right Thing to Do