Swimming : Why no pure sprint event?

Former Member
Former Member
Full disclosure: I am a pure (i.e. "drop dead") sprinter :)] Watching Track & Field, I'm always struck how they offer what can truly be described as "pure" sprints: the 100m dash (and in indoors, the 60m). These are races that time sub-10 and sub-7 seconds at the elite level. Yet swimming's shortest race is 21 seconds (for the rest of us, quite a bit more than 21 seconds ...). I was speaking with some sprint swimming coaches who agreed that even our "splash & dash" 50 free is not a true sprint ... it's close, but the best sprinters actually back off a tiny fraction from their absolute max to maintain a greater speed overall. At my USMS level, the winning times are in the low 25's. There's no way that's a true sprint -- 25 seconds is not entirely ATP-fueled. And while it's mostly anaerobic, is it entirely? Certainly a sub-10 or sub-7 race would be. Time-wise, our 50 parallels Track & Field's 200 rather than their marquee sprint, the 100. In my fantasy world, I imagine a 25m race at the international level (swimming through the finish like Track & Field athletes) ... fastest reaction, fastest acceleration, fastest underwater & surface, fastest ABSOLUTE speed. Before 1988, our "shortest" Olympic race was the 100m!
  • Wouldn't it be useful to try some of these as demonstration events at local meets before proposing them nationally? Would the presence of 25s or an 800IM at a local meet mean it can't get a sanction?
  • (Though, interestingly, it is possible to get a legit split from a non-standard event: for example, you can do a split request for the first 200 of an 800 IM and it would be considered for Top 10 in the 200 fly.) SWEET!!! Nothing like taking out an 800 IM at a full speed "sprint" to get my 200 Fly time for TT purposes, and then trying to survive the backstroke afterward. :) Even though I'm on my back, I may be sinking. Note to self...I am entered in the 800 SCM Free at the end of the NW Zone SCM meet on October...hmmm ;) (yes I realize it can't count as a 200 Fly time, because it's and 800 FREE, but the 800 IM is still a possibility. Will have to wait for the seedings to find out.)
  • SWEET!!! Nothing like taking out an 800 IM at a full speed "sprint" to get my 200 Fly time for TT purposes, and then trying to survive the backstroke afterward. :) Even though I'm on my back, I may be sinking. I'll take "Things That No One Says" for $2000, Trebek Note to self...I am entered in the 800 SCM Free at the end of the NW Zone SCM meet on October...hmmm ;) (yes I realize it can't count as a 200 Fly time, because it's and 800 FREE, but the 800 IM is still a possibility. Will have to wait for the seedings to find out.) What is your entry time? No, no reason... What? Why is everyone staring at me?
  • You are right. This is just my personal view on my competitions. I'd prefer to "get my money's worth" out of a competition. Not necessarily only swimming the longest events, but I don't like to travel across the state to do four 50s and a 100 IM either. Too funny. I am in the totally opposite camp and think that doing ONE 50 in an entire meet is worthwhile. Otherwise, swimming a bunch of events cuts into my Doin' Nuthin' / Napping in my Deck Chair time. And to me it's not just about swimming fast, it's about getting early dibs on the showers and leaving a meet before the last event so I can go out to eat that much faster. There are quite a few meets that offer 25's, you just have to look for them! Or, even better, take the initiative to host a meet with 25's!
  • Wouldn't it be useful to try some of these as demonstration events at local meets before proposing them nationally? Would the presence of 25s or an 800IM at a local meet mean it can't get a sanction? I haven't seen any meets with the longer events, though I have seen meets with 25s. I've also seen a meet with odd relays (eg, 400 backstroke or 400 IM relay). The meet gets a sanction but the so-called "non-standard" events results are not submitted for Top 10 consideration, records, etc, and this is stated explicitly in the meet information packet. (Though, interestingly, it is possible to get a legit split from a non-standard event: for example, you can do a split request for the first 200 of an 800 IM and it would be considered for Top 10 in the 200 fly.)
  • One final thing: it is too late for this year, but in two years' time (the next "Rules" year) I would be put this before the Records and Tabulation Committee to see if they want to submit a rule change proposal to add 25s and longer events for results/record tabulation. It is quite likely I will no longer be chair at the time -- and in any event, the chair cannot make motions directly -- but this sort of thing probably falls within the purview of the committee since essentially you are proposing that we start tracking results, Top 10 and records. Just so people understand the process: rule change proposals go to the Rules Committee. They may make changes to improve clarity, ensure conformity with existing rules, clean up the rationale, etc (in collaboration with the proposing body mostly), and then they vote on whether to recommend the rule for passage. If they do recommend, then a simple majority of the House of Delegates would pass the rule; if they recommend against passage, then the bar is higher (I think a two-thirds majority is needed from the HOD but I'd have to look that up). For a rule change to pass in an "off" year, the Rules Committee has to deem it an emergency and then I think a 90% majority is needed to pass. Or something like that; I'm being lazy and not looking it up right now...
  • What is your entry time? No, no reason... What? Why is everyone staring at me? 9:26.12 if you want to gridge. I'm sure it'll be a top heat entry, but we could always IM it anyway! :bolt:
  • One final thing: it is too late for this year, but in two years' time (the next "Rules" year) I would be put this before the Records and Tabulation Committee to see if they want to submit a rule change proposal to add 25s and longer events for results/record tabulation. It is quite likely I will no longer be chair at the time -- and in any event, the chair cannot make motions directly -- but this sort of thing probably falls within the purview of the committee since essentially you are proposing that we start tracking results, Top 10 and records. Just so people understand the process: rule change proposals go to the Rules Committee. They may make changes to improve clarity, ensure conformity with existing rules, clean up the rationale, etc (in collaboration with the proposing body mostly), and then they vote on whether to recommend the rule for passage. If they do recommend, then a simple majority of the House of Delegates would pass the rule; if they recommend against passage, then the bar is higher (I think a two-thirds majority is needed from the HOD but I'd have to look that up). For a rule change to pass in an "off" year, the Rules Committee has to deem it an emergency and then I think a 90% majority is needed to pass. Or something like that; I'm being lazy and not looking it up right now... Thanks Chris!