Dealing with Strength Training DOMS

Former Member
Former Member
Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness - Friend or Foe? Recently I started introducing strength training 2x per week to my regime. Exercises now consist of pull-ups and ab work, and I plan to start doing other exercises (lower body too). However, my muscles are sore because I work my reps until failure, typically. I should mention that I swim 5x per week. Do you think this soreness will tend to go away once I'm better conditioned with weights? I still plan to do my reps until failure to help build strength. Also, should I just swim hard while still sore? Generally, how do folks typically handle the combination of strength training DOMS and swim practice?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Thanks Allen. I consider form important too. I'll keep this is in mind when doing my exercises. I'm going to the gym/pool this morning and won't go to failure because I have a group workout in a couple of days and I don't want to be sore during the workout. This might be a good strategy for me. Only going to failure on occasion. Maybe even doing negatives but I haven't looked into the benefits of this particular approach yet.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Thanks Allen. I consider form important too. I'll keep this is in mind when doing my exercises. I'm going to the gym/pool this morning and won't go to failure because I have a group workout in a couple of days and I don't want to be sore during the workout. This might be a good strategy for me. Only going to failure on occasion. Maybe even doing negatives but I haven't looked into the benefits of this particular approach yet.
Children
No Data