What are some compound barbell lift numbers for olympians?

Former Member
Former Member
or top swimmers? How much do lets sasy phelps, adrian or lochte squat/deadlift compared to their body weight (ie 1.5x squat 2x deadlift)?
Parents
  • Mostly talking about 1-rep maxes. Assuming lifting for strength and not simply body maintenance. I think the first benchmark should be doable and beneficial for almost any male amateur competitive swimmer at any distance range. You'd be amazed just how much progress can be made getting your nervous system used to heavy squatting, 1.5xBW squat shouldn't require a whole bunch of extra muscle mass or dedicated training. The second benchmark is really only useful for sprinters. A double bodyweight squat does generally require quite of bit of extra muscle mass which is obviously detrimental to distance swimming. Assuming there's not some advantageous genetics going on! FWIW, I'm pretty much smack dab between those two benchmarks, and I definitely go into oxygen debt pretty quickly when my legs are motoring. To get to 370-380 squat would be... a little overkill for me, I think. My best ever was a couple years ago before I got back in the water of 365 at about 200 BW.
  • Mostly talking about 1-rep maxes. Assuming lifting for strength and not simply body maintenance. I think the first benchmark should be doable and beneficial for almost any male amateur competitive swimmer at any distance range. You'd be amazed just how much progress can be made getting your nervous system used to heavy squatting, 1.5xBW squat shouldn't require a whole bunch of extra muscle mass or dedicated training. The second benchmark is really only useful for sprinters. A double bodyweight squat does generally require quite of bit of extra muscle mass which is obviously detrimental to distance swimming. Assuming there's not some advantageous genetics going on! FWIW, I'm pretty much smack dab between those two benchmarks, and I definitely go into oxygen debt pretty quickly when my legs are motoring. To get to 370-380 squat would be... a little overkill for me, I think. My best ever was a couple years ago before I got back in the water of 365 at about 200 BW.
Children
No Data