How should I time my weight training in my swim schedule?

Former Member
Former Member
I currently swim 6 sessions per week (Mon Tue Thu Fri morning, Tue evening, Sat afternoon, with 2 rest days (Wednesday and Sunday). Recently I have added weight training into my routine, and I would like to do it for 4 weeks. I have currently put them on evenings Monday, Wednesday and Sunday last week (45 minutes each season), but after my weight training, I feel my muscle stiffness and tightness (especially my pecs) sustained overnight, sometimes affecting my swim training as well. Am I putting my weight training to inappropriate times, or should I sacrifice some of the swim sessions for that? (I am using a progressive overload schedule for my swim training, gradually increasing my training mileage, but that does not include any weight training which I never had before)
Parents
  • Since you'd be new to it, I'd probably start out with just 2 weight training sessions a week for 2-3 weeks. Then if you feel ok, add in 1 more, then maybe another after that. I have absolutely no idea how I did it, but several years ago I was swimming (with a team) 4-6 practices a week, lifting (solo) 3-4 times a week, and running 3+ times a week (total about 30 miles). I was constantly tired, but was swimming at decent speeds (for me), and was in fantastic shape. I sometimes did doubles of swimming, and occasionally of running (I did 2 miles before weights). Of course I was constantly tired and much more prone to injury and illness, which both hit me. Multiple people suggested I cut something, but it took some time for me to figure that out for myself. I tracked much of this in my USMS blog; feel free to take a look and see how crazy it all was (yes, it was crazy, and I'll be the first to admit that now). Right now I usually manage 2 gym sessions a week and 4-5 pool sessions a week. I'll also walk the dogs and do some hiking, but nothing too intense.
  • Since you'd be new to it, I'd probably start out with just 2 weight training sessions a week for 2-3 weeks. Then if you feel ok, add in 1 more, then maybe another after that. I have absolutely no idea how I did it, but several years ago I was swimming (with a team) 4-6 practices a week, lifting (solo) 3-4 times a week, and running 3+ times a week (total about 30 miles). I was constantly tired, but was swimming at decent speeds (for me), and was in fantastic shape. I sometimes did doubles of swimming, and occasionally of running (I did 2 miles before weights). Of course I was constantly tired and much more prone to injury and illness, which both hit me. Multiple people suggested I cut something, but it took some time for me to figure that out for myself. I tracked much of this in my USMS blog; feel free to take a look and see how crazy it all was (yes, it was crazy, and I'll be the first to admit that now). Right now I usually manage 2 gym sessions a week and 4-5 pool sessions a week. I'll also walk the dogs and do some hiking, but nothing too intense.
Children
No Data