How should I time my weight training in my swim schedule?

Former Member
Former Member
I currently swim 6 sessions per week (Mon Tue Thu Fri morning, Tue evening, Sat afternoon, with 2 rest days (Wednesday and Sunday). Recently I have added weight training into my routine, and I would like to do it for 4 weeks. I have currently put them on evenings Monday, Wednesday and Sunday last week (45 minutes each season), but after my weight training, I feel my muscle stiffness and tightness (especially my pecs) sustained overnight, sometimes affecting my swim training as well. Am I putting my weight training to inappropriate times, or should I sacrifice some of the swim sessions for that? (I am using a progressive overload schedule for my swim training, gradually increasing my training mileage, but that does not include any weight training which I never had before)
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    If you have not weight trained before, you're going to be sore no matter what. However, depending on how old you are and the level of exercise volume you're used to, you might be overdoing it. That's a pretty big workload. What is the sign of overdoing? I did 2 swimming sessions yesterday (1/29), morning on my own, and evening coached session - however the coach gave us extra high intensity program which I didn't expect - 4 x 50 m with 5" rest between @ race speed, 3 sets (and 1 more set before ending the session which made us all mad). Afterwards I got extremely bad sleep - multiple interruptions and nightmares even I was extremely tired, and I was feeling my lats today's morning. Was I doing too much? Here was the workout I did in the last few days: 1/26: low intensity swim session on my own in the morning, 1.5 km race in the afternoon 1/27: 1.5 hours gym session, no swimming 1/28: coached session in the morning (all technique work), 45 minutes gym session evening 1/29: swim session on my own in the morning (medium intensity), coached session in the evening (the coach made us mad doing extremely hard work!) 1/30: no swimming, but planning to put 45 minutes gym session today's evening. Given my above symptom, should I ditch my planned gym session today? Is it appropriate to put gym sessions on the "rest day" inside the swimming routine?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    If you have not weight trained before, you're going to be sore no matter what. However, depending on how old you are and the level of exercise volume you're used to, you might be overdoing it. That's a pretty big workload. What is the sign of overdoing? I did 2 swimming sessions yesterday (1/29), morning on my own, and evening coached session - however the coach gave us extra high intensity program which I didn't expect - 4 x 50 m with 5" rest between @ race speed, 3 sets (and 1 more set before ending the session which made us all mad). Afterwards I got extremely bad sleep - multiple interruptions and nightmares even I was extremely tired, and I was feeling my lats today's morning. Was I doing too much? Here was the workout I did in the last few days: 1/26: low intensity swim session on my own in the morning, 1.5 km race in the afternoon 1/27: 1.5 hours gym session, no swimming 1/28: coached session in the morning (all technique work), 45 minutes gym session evening 1/29: swim session on my own in the morning (medium intensity), coached session in the evening (the coach made us mad doing extremely hard work!) 1/30: no swimming, but planning to put 45 minutes gym session today's evening. Given my above symptom, should I ditch my planned gym session today? Is it appropriate to put gym sessions on the "rest day" inside the swimming routine?
Children
No Data