Dry land exercises for masters swimmer

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I'm a 41 year old masters swimmer. I have no past experience in swimming. Started swimming 2 year ago, took a few private lessons to learn free style. Today I swim about 3 times a week with a masters group, 2-3 Km each time. I'm not competing, but I do want to challenge myself and improve my times. The problem is that it is hard for me to incorporate more than 3 swimming sessions a week. So I started thinking about dry land exercises. I thought about running in order to improve my cardio, and gym training in order to improve my power and speed. But I find it hard to find reliable and relevant information on which exercises or technics to use. Most resources I find are designed for young competitive swimmers. I'm really not there. For example, I don't need exercises to improve my exit from the blocks. That is the least of my problems. I encountered some resources which state that Crossfit is a good match for swimmers. But again, some other resources dispute that. I would appreciate of someone can share or recommend from his personal experience. Thanks !
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    I think running won't help most pool events much unless you are doing lots of short sprints maybe or trying to lose weight. More intense exercises that target swimming muscles I think are best like pull ups (or lateral pull down), dips, jump rope, box jumps, etc. They will give you strength and explosiveness to swim faster. The race club has good ideas although some you need a partner: www.youtube.com/watch www.youtube.com/watch
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    I think running won't help most pool events much unless you are doing lots of short sprints maybe or trying to lose weight. More intense exercises that target swimming muscles I think are best like pull ups (or lateral pull down), dips, jump rope, box jumps, etc. They will give you strength and explosiveness to swim faster. The race club has good ideas although some you need a partner: www.youtube.com/watch www.youtube.com/watch
Children
No Data