Solution to leg cramps

Former Member
Former Member
I’m hoping that someone may be able to help me solve a problem. My wife is a talented triathlete, winning her age group (55-59) in several major triathlons over the past two years. She has signed up to do a full ironman distance (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run) in Wisconsin but she can't seem to swim past 1200-1400 meters before she gets leg cramps. She has consulted local swim coaches, tried all their suggestions and nothing works. It's a real problem and she is thinking of giving up on the race. Since she is 57 this may be her last shot at doing something she’s wanted to do for years. She has tried hydrating (with water and tonic water), stretching, had her technique evaluated for mechanics, etc. has anyone else had this problem and if so, what the solution? I’m desperate to help her but don’t know where else to turn. If you know of anyone who might be able to help, please let me know. Thank you. Bruce
Parents
  • I am also 57 yrs old and prone to leg cramps around the 1- 1.5 mile mark in ooen water. My last swim of two miles went great without any- then i ran my first 10 K in over 10 years for our SERC Triathlon last weekend against Dolphin club in SF. Rowing swimming running. 

i found that its a combination of hydration, potassium and electrolytes. Another poster mentioned wine or beer the night before can make it happen- i concur. Probably because it dehydrates you.  I usually have 2 glasses wine per night but skipped it last swim. Also ate a banana before bed and another w s light breakfast with carbs and protein (fish)  in the morning. All the while stsying hydrated with water and electrolytes-chewables or gueables. This helped me do the swim in good form without a wetsuit and then run. Also swam aafter the run and a mile the next day for a cool down. 
    sore after but a good sore- like lactid acid and muscle building kind of sore… 

• I am also 57 yrs old and prone to leg cramps around the 1- 1.5 mile mark in ooen water. My last swim of two miles went great without any- then i ran my first 10 K in over 10 years for our SERC Triathlon last weekend against Dolphin club in SF. Rowing swimming running. 

i found that its a combination of hydration, potassium and electrolytes. Another poster mentioned wine or beer the night before can make it happen- i concur. Probably because it dehydrates you.  I usually have 2 glasses wine per night but skipped it last swim. Also ate a banana before bed and another w s light breakfast with carbs and protein (fish)  in the morning. All the while stsying hydrated with water and electrolytes-chewables or gueables. This helped me do the swim in good form without a wetsuit and then run. Also swam aafter the run and a mile the next day for a cool down. 
    sore after but a good sore- like lactid acid and muscle building kind of sore… 

Children
No Data