Labrum Surgery: A Cautionary Tale

I had labrum surgery 8 weeks ago. I struggled with whether it was necessary. PT had minimized the pain, but still every time I swam I hurt, and I couldn't do stroke, thus making my ephemeral goal of a nonperformance art 400 IM elusive, plus I also like stroke. Did I do the right thing? Too late to know now. I waited a year, and then decided in favor of the surgery because I feared that later in life (10 years from now), I would have wrecked my shoulder and not been able to have the surgery (too old). I want to swim forever. The surgery itself was not painful (love that Percocet), nor were the 3 weeks post-surgery, except for the sling I had to wear (again, love that Percocet). But the PT and daily life now are very challenging (I'm 8 weeks post-surgery). I had torn the labrum off the bone, plus torn the back of my labrum (Bankart tear), plus a few other things were ready to go, so everything was tightened and stitched down. The good news is I will have 100% mobility once I am done with PT. The hard news is I don't know when that will be, or when I will be able to swim again. I have just started kicking in the pool, and that feels very very good. The cautionary part of this tale is that had I paid more attention to my technique and posture (I tend to slump), I don't think I would have needed this surgery. During my pre-surgery PT, I did tons of I's, T's, and Y's, prone on the floor, and tons of scapular strenghthening, so that pre-surgery I was swimming my fastest in years, albeit with pain. I wish I had done those scapular strengtheners all along (I can post a silly video of me doing the most important ones). The other thing I paid attention to was when I pulled with my left arm (the one that had surgery). I noticed with horror that I was pulling with my left arm as I was rotating to the right to breathe. Hmm, that will tear my labrum up! Leslie (the Fortress?) (someone on this board) is absolutely correct about using your core first and foremost! But what I find (and again, cautionary tale about masters swimming) is that I am very competitive, and want to go fast at practice no matter the price, so I was paying very little attention to technique and just zooming along. Long posting, but wanted to share that labrum surgery recovery is incredibly painful. Getting stretched, doing the exercises, unbelievably painful. Hoping that next week I progress to above 90 degrees adduction (?) (out to side) and to using weights with PT. Trying not to get depressed when swimming is my main antidepressant as well as social world. So, valiant masters swimmers, pay attention to your arm entry, how you rotate, and core strength. I wish I had paid more attention to strenghthening my back, especially my scapulae and all those little muscles that keep them moving properly. Here's the video posting; it's silly, I know, but these exercises, while not for power, did give me a lot of strength when I swam. And the PT noticed this past week that I still have a lot of strength in my scapulae, which I hope will work for my benefit. Hoping to be moving my arm in a full circle in, uh, 2 months? Cheers. Isobel. YouTube - Swimmer shoulder stability exercises, Part 1
Parents
  • i replied in your other thread but here is the info you are looking for my slap tear surgery was on june 16 2011 i was doing 1arms (not the surgery arm) on july 31 on aug 12 i was using both arms and did 1300 that day on oct 9 i started doing fly on nov 20 swam at the dallas meet my 50scm fly and 100scm fly were ranked 8th and 5th in the usa end of april usms nationals went 10:00.89 and was national champion in the 1000scy early august usms nationals went 4:24.18 (split 2:12.16,2:12.02) to be not only usms champion but FINA #1 in the world 13months after my surgery. so yes, not only can you swim again but swim well!!! steve results may vary let your doctor know ahead of time that you are a serious badazz side effects may include: do not take if you are allergic to chlorine or working hard working this hard will cause muscle pain that at times may be serious some may call you insane...ignore them intense sarcasm for other sports that think they work hard and can laydown if they get tired or get rest breaks during competition
  • i replied in your other thread but here is the info you are looking for my slap tear surgery was on june 16 2011 i was doing 1arms (not the surgery arm) on july 31 on aug 12 i was using both arms and did 1300 that day on oct 9 i started doing fly on nov 20 swam at the dallas meet my 50scm fly and 100scm fly were ranked 8th and 5th in the usa end of april usms nationals went 10:00.89 and was national champion in the 1000scy early august usms nationals went 4:24.18 (split 2:12.16,2:12.02) to be not only usms champion but FINA #1 in the world 13months after my surgery. so yes, not only can you swim again but swim well!!! steve results may vary let your doctor know ahead of time that you are a serious badazz side effects may include: do not take if you are allergic to chlorine or working hard working this hard will cause muscle pain that at times may be serious some may call you insane...ignore them intense sarcasm for other sports that think they work hard and can laydown if they get tired or get rest breaks during competition
Children
No Data