Rotator cuff surgery.

After I swam for a month in Oct. in pain,I had an X-ray and then MRI to show that I have a partially torn rotator cuff. Doc says it "should heal by itself, given time" How long an my age of almost 75 will this take and no guarantee to a positive result is unknown to me. Have any of had this type of surgery done and what are your results? How long is recovery? What do think of the repair after going back to swimming? I have been pretty good at IM and fly. Will I be able to recovery enough to continue these strokes? Thanx to all that offer advice.
Parents
  • Post-surgery and recovery I actually swam FASTER than prior to my injury (once I got back into shape that is). Just be prepared for the recovery and physical therapy. It will be a b!tch for sure. Whatever the PTs and the surgeon tell you to do at home on your own...do it! I asked my surgeon if I could jog on the treadmill in recovery...treadmill so that I could hold on to the rail with my good arm and not worry about falling. He said “NO!” certainly not. “The small bouncing that your arm will do while jogging with the sling on will cause micro tears and unwanted scaring at the sutures. It wonâ€Tmt now, or in a year or two. But down the road it will affect you.” Dan
  • Post-surgery and recovery I actually swam FASTER than prior to my injury (once I got back into shape that is). Just be prepared for the recovery and physical therapy. It will be a b!tch for sure. Whatever the PTs and the surgeon tell you to do at home on your own...do it! I asked my surgeon if I could jog on the treadmill in recovery...treadmill so that I could hold on to the rail with my good arm and not worry about falling. He said “NO!” certainly not. “The small bouncing that your arm will do while jogging with the sling on will cause micro tears and unwanted scaring at the sutures. It wonâ€Tmt now, or in a year or two. But down the road it will affect you.” Dan
Children
No Data