Any Distance Swimmers w/ Labral Tears?

Former Member
Former Member
I've always had right shoulder stability and soreness issues. But I could usually control it with ice, Aleve, and rest. This year, probably due to too much too soon over-training once my pool reopened in May, my shoulder pain became unmanageable. My ortho ordered an MRI arthrogram that revealed labral tears from 4 to 12 o'clock. She described the tears as wear-and-tear, as opposed to acute. I recently started PT for the same. In terms of swimming, I can handle my daily work outs of 2700-3600 yards with little to no pain. But my weekly long distance swims of 5+ miles are killing me. By the end my entire right shoulder aches and it seems like every muscle is sore and tight. For those long distance swimmers out there with this injury, do you have any coping mechanisms, whether it be stroke changes or dry-land exercises? Thanks!
Parents
  • Try accupucture for pain ; Tissue Recovery by Hammer Nutrition; when pain is managed, once a week, sports med massage; Sports medicine PT. After months of these therapies, a good trainer who does various modalities for building back from injury. Patience for 2 years plus of nurture. Analyze your stroke not to drop elbows inward : sign up for Gary Hall Sr Race club in Cal and Fla. Joan Craffey .       :Work every lap ; pick one thing to focus on and feel. Use thres hold anarobic work out, not to exceed 90 min or point of discomfort. Remember you cannot work with deflated soft tissue that is irritable. Stay away from drugs and get phyto nutrition with lots of omega 3s. Cut out junk food and support your system with vitamins and minerals. 

• Try accupucture for pain ; Tissue Recovery by Hammer Nutrition; when pain is managed, once a week, sports med massage; Sports medicine PT. After months of these therapies, a good trainer who does various modalities for building back from injury. Patience for 2 years plus of nurture. Analyze your stroke not to drop elbows inward : sign up for Gary Hall Sr Race club in Cal and Fla. Joan Craffey .       :Work every lap ; pick one thing to focus on and feel. Use thres hold anarobic work out, not to exceed 90 min or point of discomfort. Remember you cannot work with deflated soft tissue that is irritable. Stay away from drugs and get phyto nutrition with lots of omega 3s. Cut out junk food and support your system with vitamins and minerals. 

Children
No Data