Swimming after Retinal Detachment?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all, as if COVID wasn't bad enough (no swimming, no anything!), my retina detached 2 days after everything closed down here. I can't lift for 4 months, but per the surgeon, swimming is fine. (2 months post surgery). Of course, pools are closed here, but hopefully not for much longer. Has anyone had this surgery and if so, did your retina detach after you resumed swimming? I am terrified. I was lucky to catch is early and have a good surgeon, but suffered significant vision loss. Apparently, the retina can detach again.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    Hmm, I better clarify what I meant by "swimming" although I did ask about wearing goggles and have mentioned numerous times what type of workouts I did every day. I am so sorry to hear that your daughter has another surgery scheduled and hope she sails thru it with flying colors. My vision was perfect prior to the RD. However, I wouldn't doubt that the 3 Lasik prcoedures I've had done, the 2 cataract surgeries i had (paying a good deal extra for IOL lenses that are "useless" now) and several YAG procedures contributed, although no one ever mentioned that possibility to me. I seriously doubt I would've had so many, but that's water under the bridge. It's been almost 3 months since surgery, but all pools are closed and truthfully, I desperately need to swim, but am not comfortable yet, even if they open. It's not worth the risk to lose 3 months of being able to only do light cleaning and walking. Not to mention face down again. Please keep me posted on your daughter's surgery outcome.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    Hmm, I better clarify what I meant by "swimming" although I did ask about wearing goggles and have mentioned numerous times what type of workouts I did every day. I am so sorry to hear that your daughter has another surgery scheduled and hope she sails thru it with flying colors. My vision was perfect prior to the RD. However, I wouldn't doubt that the 3 Lasik prcoedures I've had done, the 2 cataract surgeries i had (paying a good deal extra for IOL lenses that are "useless" now) and several YAG procedures contributed, although no one ever mentioned that possibility to me. I seriously doubt I would've had so many, but that's water under the bridge. It's been almost 3 months since surgery, but all pools are closed and truthfully, I desperately need to swim, but am not comfortable yet, even if they open. It's not worth the risk to lose 3 months of being able to only do light cleaning and walking. Not to mention face down again. Please keep me posted on your daughter's surgery outcome.
Children
No Data