Shoulder Impingement

Former Member
Former Member
Looking for some of your experience with shoulder injuries. I am 26 year old male and have swam masters for years, and injured my shoulder about 5 months ago while training vigorously for the 200 IM and 200 free. I developed it from backstroke because i was not rotating body enough and over strained left shoulder. MRI showed impingement and tendonitus, did 8 weeks of PT religiously, but still have issues and cannot swim without residual pain. I definitely cannot compete anymore and haven't swam but a couple times this year. Doctor says he can scope it and clean the bursitus out. I think he's offering arthroscopic decompression. Anyone have any experience with roughing it through shoulder injuries or anyone have any shoulder surgeries? Were they successful?
  • look into PRP injection. No surgery, little downtime, results seems to be good. I just had one two days ago and my doctor (at Ohio State Sports Medicine) said lay off for a few days, then ease back into the water. I have a SLAP tear and did PT, still do it, and can only do freestyle. SO we'll see how well the PRP works. I am really hopeful. Don't know if I will ever compete again, maybe virtual stuff. But to swim without pain and fear of making it worse? I'm grateful.

• I have had impingement issues for over 20 years.  These two videos have given me the best management of it, from the many things I have tried.  I also recomend tart cherry juice to replace ibuprofen most of the time.  I only take ibuprofen about once a week before my long swims and drink tart cherry juice mixed with orange and pineapple about 5 days a week.  I thought I would need surgery to get rid of it but now I'm optimistic I can manage it without surgery. 

youtu.be/PwG9JZyNu3M

• I have had impingement issues for over 20 years.  These two videos have given me the best management of it, from the many things I have tried.  I also recomend tart cherry juice to replace ibuprofen most of the time.  I only take ibuprofen about once a week before my long swims and drink tart cherry juice mixed with orange and pineapple about 5 days a week.  I thought I would need surgery to get rid of it but now I'm optimistic I can manage it without surgery. 

youtu.be/PwG9JZyNu3M