Shoulder Impingement

Former Member
Former Member
Looking for some of your experience with shoulder injuries. I am 26 year old male and have swam masters for years, and injured my shoulder about 5 months ago while training vigorously for the 200 IM and 200 free. I developed it from backstroke because i was not rotating body enough and over strained left shoulder. MRI showed impingement and tendonitus, did 8 weeks of PT religiously, but still have issues and cannot swim without residual pain. I definitely cannot compete anymore and haven't swam but a couple times this year. Doctor says he can scope it and clean the bursitus out. I think he's offering arthroscopic decompression. Anyone have any experience with roughing it through shoulder injuries or anyone have any shoulder surgeries? Were they successful?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    I wanted to post an update, Its been 1 year since injury and my shoulder has healed. I no longer have any pain sleeping, working out, stretching etc. I do not swim competitively anymore, and only swim for leisure, as I inflame the issue when trying to keep up with my elite teammates at practice, but I can swim for fun with good form with no issues. I wanted to encourage anyone going through shoulder impingement to hang in there, do the PT exercises, and give it 6months-1year to heal. DO NOT try to swim through the issue because this is what delayed my healing.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    I wanted to post an update, Its been 1 year since injury and my shoulder has healed. I no longer have any pain sleeping, working out, stretching etc. I do not swim competitively anymore, and only swim for leisure, as I inflame the issue when trying to keep up with my elite teammates at practice, but I can swim for fun with good form with no issues. I wanted to encourage anyone going through shoulder impingement to hang in there, do the PT exercises, and give it 6months-1year to heal. DO NOT try to swim through the issue because this is what delayed my healing.
Children
No Data