Chronic ear issues from swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Anyone ever had issues with chronic ear infections or swimmers ear? I have had them all my life, as an infant to a crazy older lady... They used to occur 3-4 times a year, then I got custom ear molds about made about 8 years ago for swim and showers, and down to maybe 1 every 12-18 months. Last week I started feeling the usual fluid in my ear and tenderness, so I’ve been keeping my head out of the pool water and still wearing my earplugs. Today, it’s officially a full blown ear infection and the ENT used the little vacuum tube to drain it. You all are so resourceful and I was hoping maybe you all had some suggestions that I could take to an ENT dr or fix on my own.
Parents
  • Prodgirl, My ear canals are narrow with bony bumps that make it hard for water to drain. I hate ear plugs, so don't use them. I do one of two things after every swim (lake water, river water, ocean water, pools) and have not had an ear infection in 40+ years. First option: drip a little rubbing alcohol in each ear which will mix with the water to drain easier and it might even kill some of the flora in the ear canal. Second: twist the edge of a kleenex/piece of toilet paper into a "rat tail" and carefully insert into your ear canal and this will wick the water away from deeper regions. Be careful not to jam the kleenex too far and damage the inner ear organs. The other thing you might try: set a heating pad on low and lie on your side with your ear against the pad. The water will drain/evaporate. Good Luck.
  • Prodgirl, My ear canals are narrow with bony bumps that make it hard for water to drain. I hate ear plugs, so don't use them. I do one of two things after every swim (lake water, river water, ocean water, pools) and have not had an ear infection in 40+ years. First option: drip a little rubbing alcohol in each ear which will mix with the water to drain easier and it might even kill some of the flora in the ear canal. Second: twist the edge of a kleenex/piece of toilet paper into a "rat tail" and carefully insert into your ear canal and this will wick the water away from deeper regions. Be careful not to jam the kleenex too far and damage the inner ear organs. The other thing you might try: set a heating pad on low and lie on your side with your ear against the pad. The water will drain/evaporate. Good Luck.
Children
No Data