Chronic ear issues from swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Anyone ever had issues with chronic ear infections or swimmers ear? I have had them all my life, as an infant to a crazy older lady... They used to occur 3-4 times a year, then I got custom ear molds about made about 8 years ago for swim and showers, and down to maybe 1 every 12-18 months. Last week I started feeling the usual fluid in my ear and tenderness, so I’ve been keeping my head out of the pool water and still wearing my earplugs. Today, it’s officially a full blown ear infection and the ENT used the little vacuum tube to drain it. You all are so resourceful and I was hoping maybe you all had some suggestions that I could take to an ENT dr or fix on my own.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Have they ever suggested having tubes placed? Many folks with chronic ear infections have shorter, flatter eustachian tubes than average adults (children do as well, which is why they are more prone to ear infections). Otitis media, a middle ear infection, aka swimmers' ear, is caused by bacteria growing in the warm, moist environment of the ear. When the ear canal can't dry out sufficiently, bacteria thrives. The fluid buildup is a response to inflammation. Usually, adults don't build up as much fluid because, as above, their eustachian tubes (which connect to the sinus and oropharnyx) are steeper. A gentleman at the pool who had been a diver suggested sudafed to help dry things out, so you might try hitting with a decongestant along with the earplugs.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Have they ever suggested having tubes placed? Many folks with chronic ear infections have shorter, flatter eustachian tubes than average adults (children do as well, which is why they are more prone to ear infections). Otitis media, a middle ear infection, aka swimmers' ear, is caused by bacteria growing in the warm, moist environment of the ear. When the ear canal can't dry out sufficiently, bacteria thrives. The fluid buildup is a response to inflammation. Usually, adults don't build up as much fluid because, as above, their eustachian tubes (which connect to the sinus and oropharnyx) are steeper. A gentleman at the pool who had been a diver suggested sudafed to help dry things out, so you might try hitting with a decongestant along with the earplugs.
Children
No Data