Swimming with Parkinson's Disease

I did a search of the forums and couldn't find this topic being discussed anywhere. But I am curious if any of our members who have been diagnosed with PD and continue to swim might share any tips or advice with regards to training. Two friends of mine here in the Pittsburgh area have recently been diagnosed, and both are determined to continue swimming despite slowing down. It seems to me that aquatic exercise could be a great way to exercise and perhaps even slow down the progression of the disease. Surely, there must be within the greater USMS ranks more than a handful of swimmers who are currently contending with this disease. I told my one friend, who isn't a USMS member, that I would post an inquiry on his behalf here on the forums and share any results it might turn up. Thanks in advance!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    I was a USMS member for most of 35 years. I was diagnosed with PD 6 years ago when I was 57. Though I had to work hard to regain my freestyle stroke coordination. Currently I swim 1/2 mile + once or twice a week. In 2016 and 17 I even competed in the Big Shoulders open water swim classic at the 2.5k distance. Each of the two years I used my Facebook page to raise a total of $7k for the Michael J Fox Foundation. I also discovered another PD Big Shoulders swimmer in Wisconsin during the course of my fundraising. I find swimming to be great therapy and love the pump it gives me. I also hate cold water.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    I was a USMS member for most of 35 years. I was diagnosed with PD 6 years ago when I was 57. Though I had to work hard to regain my freestyle stroke coordination. Currently I swim 1/2 mile + once or twice a week. In 2016 and 17 I even competed in the Big Shoulders open water swim classic at the 2.5k distance. Each of the two years I used my Facebook page to raise a total of $7k for the Michael J Fox Foundation. I also discovered another PD Big Shoulders swimmer in Wisconsin during the course of my fundraising. I find swimming to be great therapy and love the pump it gives me. I also hate cold water.
Children
No Data