Swimming with Parkinson's Disease

I did a search of the forums and couldn't find this topic being discussed anywhere. But I am curious if any of our members who have been diagnosed with PD and continue to swim might share any tips or advice with regards to training. Two friends of mine here in the Pittsburgh area have recently been diagnosed, and both are determined to continue swimming despite slowing down. It seems to me that aquatic exercise could be a great way to exercise and perhaps even slow down the progression of the disease. Surely, there must be within the greater USMS ranks more than a handful of swimmers who are currently contending with this disease. I told my one friend, who isn't a USMS member, that I would post an inquiry on his behalf here on the forums and share any results it might turn up. Thanks in advance!
Parents
  • Hello- I have ran programs for swimmers with various needs for adaption. Our main topic of interest was to improve the balance at the beginning of the swimmers classes. It is an excellent diversion from the gravitational pull and lack of coordination one feels with Parkinson's disease. As a nurse I can tell you specifically, water exercise does seems to slow the progression. I would be willing to travel to help set up programs. Thanks for the post, Kerri Hi, Kerry. Thanks to you and everyone else who has replied. If you send me an email, I can forward it to my friend with PD. Super nice guy, one of the smartest people you will ever meet, and who knows? Maybe with your help, he could help popularize a modified masters swimming regimen for people with Parkinson's and other movement disorders. My email address is jamesthornton1@comcast.net
  • Hello- I have ran programs for swimmers with various needs for adaption. Our main topic of interest was to improve the balance at the beginning of the swimmers classes. It is an excellent diversion from the gravitational pull and lack of coordination one feels with Parkinson's disease. As a nurse I can tell you specifically, water exercise does seems to slow the progression. I would be willing to travel to help set up programs. Thanks for the post, Kerri Hi, Kerry. Thanks to you and everyone else who has replied. If you send me an email, I can forward it to my friend with PD. Super nice guy, one of the smartest people you will ever meet, and who knows? Maybe with your help, he could help popularize a modified masters swimming regimen for people with Parkinson's and other movement disorders. My email address is jamesthornton1@comcast.net
Children
No Data