swimming and acid reflux

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I am writing a piece for the next issue of SWIMMER on acid reflux. We'd love to hear from anyone who has experience with the condition and any success in managing it. Also, health professionals with opinions on current treatments are welcome to weigh in. I'm happy to receive private messages, or you can post a reply here. Thanks for helping, Laura staffwriter@usms.org
Parents
  • If there are lots of chlorine fumes, they are concentrated right above the water (think less than an inch). After that level, they are there, but in significantly lower density. So if fumes were your problem, it should happen much, much more readily when you've swum, rather than with water aerobics or water jogging where your mouth & nose are a foot or more above the water. It seems much more likely that your reflux is caused by the pressure of the water on your body plus jumping / jogging / jostling up and down with aerobics and jogging. And since your upper chest is at lower pressure (because it is in the air, not the water) at least part of the time, it would "encourage" stomach contents to move "up" where there is lower pressure. Why it happens 7 hours later, and not immediately? That I don't know...
  • If there are lots of chlorine fumes, they are concentrated right above the water (think less than an inch). After that level, they are there, but in significantly lower density. So if fumes were your problem, it should happen much, much more readily when you've swum, rather than with water aerobics or water jogging where your mouth & nose are a foot or more above the water. It seems much more likely that your reflux is caused by the pressure of the water on your body plus jumping / jogging / jostling up and down with aerobics and jogging. And since your upper chest is at lower pressure (because it is in the air, not the water) at least part of the time, it would "encourage" stomach contents to move "up" where there is lower pressure. Why it happens 7 hours later, and not immediately? That I don't know...
Children
No Data