swimming and acid reflux

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I am writing a piece for the next issue of SWIMMER on acid reflux. We'd love to hear from anyone who has experience with the condition and any success in managing it. Also, health professionals with opinions on current treatments are welcome to weigh in. I'm happy to receive private messages, or you can post a reply here. Thanks for helping, Laura staffwriter@usms.org
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    I used to have acid reflux, and took Nexium for over a year and it seemed to be much better after that - even when I went off the medication. Some foods I try to avoid, as they almost always cause severe heartburm (Pepperoni, sausage, and believe it or not - peanut butter). When swimming I still get it occassionally, however, I have how to manage it where it is almost never an issue. An empty stomache seems to make mine worse. So I eat something light a couple of hours before I swim. If I am swimming in the morning, I will eat a piece of bread, or a half a cliff bar on the way to the pool. A full stomache is bad too. The most important thing for me is drinking water, the colder the better. When doing some interval sets, I take small sips of water at every rest - it seems to help more than anything in preventing and dealing with reflux while working out.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    I used to have acid reflux, and took Nexium for over a year and it seemed to be much better after that - even when I went off the medication. Some foods I try to avoid, as they almost always cause severe heartburm (Pepperoni, sausage, and believe it or not - peanut butter). When swimming I still get it occassionally, however, I have how to manage it where it is almost never an issue. An empty stomache seems to make mine worse. So I eat something light a couple of hours before I swim. If I am swimming in the morning, I will eat a piece of bread, or a half a cliff bar on the way to the pool. A full stomache is bad too. The most important thing for me is drinking water, the colder the better. When doing some interval sets, I take small sips of water at every rest - it seems to help more than anything in preventing and dealing with reflux while working out.
Children
No Data