swimming and acid reflux

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I am writing a piece for the next issue of SWIMMER on acid reflux. We'd love to hear from anyone who has experience with the condition and any success in managing it. Also, health professionals with opinions on current treatments are welcome to weigh in. I'm happy to receive private messages, or you can post a reply here. Thanks for helping, Laura staffwriter@usms.org
Parents
  • Oh yeah, I would get it bad for sure, although it has been better of late. As someone who experienced it and as a health professional myself, here are my observations of what causes it; 1. The horizontal position 2. Any exercise on a full or partially full stomach runs that risk 3. Air in the stomach. This can occur when inhaling forcefully. Anyone with experience bag-mask ventilating a patient knows that you have to be careful not to bag too hard or air gets in the stomach. I would imagine the same thing can happen when inhaling forcefully. The extra air in the stomach in turn makes reflux/vomiting more likely. Same could be said for swallowed water also. 4. Caffeine. If I swim within 3-4 hours after drinking a good sized cup of coffee, I am toast. Caffeine is a refluxogenic substance. I'm always telling breastfeeding mom's to cool it with the caffeine (if they want peace and quiet). I'm not sure exactly why my reflux has been a little better lately. I have made a conscious effort not to inhale so forcefully and deeply for one. I've been trying to swim before my morning coffee when possible. I've also been swimming vertically, surprisingly my times have gone down (J/K :)) I have not gotten to the point of taking an antacid, I'm really funny about taking medications. I can dish them out but I don't like to take them. I suppose if it gets bad enough and I have to make a choice between medications and potential esophageal cancer, I'll take the meds.
  • Oh yeah, I would get it bad for sure, although it has been better of late. As someone who experienced it and as a health professional myself, here are my observations of what causes it; 1. The horizontal position 2. Any exercise on a full or partially full stomach runs that risk 3. Air in the stomach. This can occur when inhaling forcefully. Anyone with experience bag-mask ventilating a patient knows that you have to be careful not to bag too hard or air gets in the stomach. I would imagine the same thing can happen when inhaling forcefully. The extra air in the stomach in turn makes reflux/vomiting more likely. Same could be said for swallowed water also. 4. Caffeine. If I swim within 3-4 hours after drinking a good sized cup of coffee, I am toast. Caffeine is a refluxogenic substance. I'm always telling breastfeeding mom's to cool it with the caffeine (if they want peace and quiet). I'm not sure exactly why my reflux has been a little better lately. I have made a conscious effort not to inhale so forcefully and deeply for one. I've been trying to swim before my morning coffee when possible. I've also been swimming vertically, surprisingly my times have gone down (J/K :)) I have not gotten to the point of taking an antacid, I'm really funny about taking medications. I can dish them out but I don't like to take them. I suppose if it gets bad enough and I have to make a choice between medications and potential esophageal cancer, I'll take the meds.
Children
No Data