What to do when getting cramps on your feet?

Former Member
Former Member
Today I got terrible cramps on my feet soon after started, and had to quit after less than 15 min. When you get a cramp in the middle of practice and it doesn't recover promptly, do you just get out of the pool or continue?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    I used to get this quite often when I started up swimming again last year. It was particularly bad in the arch of my foot and seemed to happen most often when I was pushing off strongly from the wall with my toes pointed. Typically it would happen towards the end of a practice when I was fatigued. I tried all sorts of sports drinks etc but nothing really worked. I just 'grew out' of it as my fitness improved. I still get it every now and then but nothing like I used to. It never debilitated me to the point where I had to get out of the pool. I would just stop, bend my toes backward and forward, massage the arch of my foot and continue without pushing off so hard the next time. Usually it would just go away.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    I used to get this quite often when I started up swimming again last year. It was particularly bad in the arch of my foot and seemed to happen most often when I was pushing off strongly from the wall with my toes pointed. Typically it would happen towards the end of a practice when I was fatigued. I tried all sorts of sports drinks etc but nothing really worked. I just 'grew out' of it as my fitness improved. I still get it every now and then but nothing like I used to. It never debilitated me to the point where I had to get out of the pool. I would just stop, bend my toes backward and forward, massage the arch of my foot and continue without pushing off so hard the next time. Usually it would just go away.
Children
No Data