How much anxiety do you have before a meet?

I'm thinking the level of anxiety I have leading up to meets, especially championships, is telling me competition is not worth it for me. I wish I could see myself improving through a season so that I can be excited to find out how fast I'm going to race at the end of it. Unfortunately, I'm at that age where I'm only getting slower, and I don't have the technical background to draw upon that some others do. I always feel relieved just after a big meet, but in the months and weeks leading up to one, I have anxiety even going to the practice pool. I dread the fact that I'm facing work, not leisure. That almost guarantees a bad practice. 'Sounds crazy doesn't it? Is it time for me to quit competing? In re-reading my first sentence I'm considering, maybe I need a therapist to help me learn what small reward keeps me going back to something so stressful, or to figure out how to give myself permission to quit. I saw a video on USA swimming in which they mention, Ryan Murphy used to puke before big events. That was a little validating. So how do you forumites manage your anxiety? Or if you don't have any, how did you achieve that serenity?
  • I get super nervous before big meets, happened all through college. A little less now that Master's doesnt have as much riding on it as NCAAs, but I had some specific goals for Masters Nats in May and was definitely feeling the pressure I put on myself until I made them. But for me, that feeling - and the other feelings associated with challenging yourself and then after rising to that challenge - is why I love competing so much. You just dont get those kinds of feelings in every day life. I never competed in anything in grade school, high school or college. Never played any sports. So Masters is it for me and I don't have experience with performance anxiety or accepting failures. At first it was just let me see what I can do.. then it became about trying to better my times... at first that was easy, now it is soooooo difficult just to make an old seed time. I set moderate goals and stretch goals for myself. I never make the stretch goals. Maybe the goals are where the pressure comes from. Sometimes they are personal records, sometimes just to medal, sometimes just to even split or, just not make errors. It depends on the circumstance. Regardless, I think I'm chasing unicorns. It does help to know I'm not the only one that experiences anxiety.
  • I see there are some other older related threads I need to read through
  • Local meets not so much but, state and National meets much more so. There are times I wonder why I do this to my old body and brain at 72 years of age.
  • I have only done local meets, and I have tons of anxiety. It starts the minute I sign up for an event, which is why I tend to sign up a few minutes before the meet online cut-off. I get so much anxiety, I'm thinking about it at work, I'm thinking about it during practice, I'm thinking about it when I should be sleeping. So days before the event, I don't get much sleep, when its most probably the most important thing to do. My coach tries to get me to taper, but I freak out and feel the need to keep practicing. I get so nervous during the warmups that I drink too much water. On the blocks of my first event, my heart is pounding so hard and loud, I can't hear anything else. But once I hit the water, my anxiety suddenly disappears and is replaced by adrenaline. I wonder the same thing, whether it is worth doing these meets when I am such a mess weeks before. But I keep going back for more. I tell myself that even olympians get anxiety, and to remind myself of that adrenaline and sense of accomplishment feeling. The meet is supposed to be fun, friends will be there. And man oh man, the relay! I'm definitely not racing to be in the olympics. There is no pressure. Why do I need to feel this way? This is my "do something outside my comfort zone" of the year. Just do it and have fun!
  • I have only done local meets, and I have tons of anxiety. It starts the minute I sign up for an event, which is why I tend to sign up a few minutes before the meet online cut-off. I get so much anxiety, I'm thinking about it at work, I'm thinking about it during practice, I'm thinking about it when I should be sleeping. So days before the event, I don't get much sleep, when its most probably the most important thing to do. My coach tries to get me to taper, but I freak out and feel the need to keep practicing. I get so nervous during the warmups that I drink too much water. On the blocks of my first event, my heart is pounding so hard and loud, I can't hear anything else. But once I hit the water, my anxiety suddenly disappears and is replaced by adrenaline. I wonder the same thing, whether it is worth doing these meets when I am such a mess weeks before. But I keep going back for more. I tell myself that even olympians get anxiety, and to remind myself of that adrenaline and sense of accomplishment feeling. The meet is supposed to be fun, friends will be there. And man oh man, the relay! I'm definitely not racing to be in the olympics. There is no pressure. Why do I need to feel this way? This is my "do something outside my comfort zone" of the year. Just do it and have fun! If I didn’t know better, I would have thought I wrote this myself. You described me perfectly even down to signing up at the last minute and then becoming a basket case until I hit the water. Yet I keep repeating that pattern. Surely we fit the description of the insane.
  • Oh, how I can relate! 'Margo, I felt exactly the same way about ALL of the meets I competed in over the first few years I was in Masters. It wasn't really until after my 2014 hip surgery that I came to terms with my new post-hip-repair reality and put it all in perspective. I still get butterflies (especially before the 200 butterfly!), but I choose to interpret it as excitement and tell myself it's normal, and I'll be ok. Past experience has always proven that I'm fine once I hit the water and get that first race out of the way. I also remind myself of how good all feel when I finish that last race! I think it's great that you are pushing yourself out of your comfort zone. That is how you grow as a person, prove to yourself what you are capable of accomplishing, and gain self-confidence. The more you do it, the greater the benefits. I look back on who and how I was as a person in 2010 when I first started competing in Masters, and where I am now. I may be a lot slower due to my physical limitations; however, I am definitely more comfortable and more confident It has been well worth it!
  • It varies. If it's a local meet, not much, b/c I just see that as an extension of swim practice. I rarely go to regional meets and have never been to a national meet. (Saving travel $!). I do sometimes get pretty nervous before longer open water events, especially if I travel to them--so many logistics to think about, so many things to have to remember. But once I'm swimming, I'm good, especially if I'm in the water for a while. There was a meet earlier this year where everything that could go wrong on the way (local meet too!) went wrong, so I got there totally a wreck. I'd missed one of my events. The next one was the 500 free. I think that was the saving of the meet for me. A sprint is over too soon, and then I'm still keyed up. The 500 allowed me to find my way into my pace, then pick up as I went along. Just the act of swimming helped me calm down so the rest of the meet went fine. To my surprise the 500 equaled my best time. So short answer: swimming itself helps cure the anxiety, but I need some distance for that to happen. I enjoy sprints, actually, but I need to be relaxed before I can start them. Not as much with longer distances.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    If I am starting in a meet I just try to relax and not thinking about anything than swimming my race fast.My mindset is in a "competition-mode". I try to focus on just few things: breathing, technique, speed, turnover..Not going to a meet doesn't help much fighting against your problems So my suggestion is you have to compete over and over again and one day you just get the right mindset for the competition.. I would try out breath-yoga. Maybe it helps to fight against the demons in you. You have nothing to lose and what you are doing is just sport so relax.
  • If I am starting in a meet I just try to relax and not thinking about anything than swimming my race fast.My mindset is in a "competition-mode". I try to focus on just few things: breathing, technique, speed, turnover..Not going to a meet doesn't help much fighting against your problems So my suggestion is you have to compete over and over again and one day you just get the right mindset for the competition.. I would try out breath-yoga. Maybe it helps to fight against the demons in you. You have nothing to lose and what you are doing is just sport so relax. Thanks for your insight and suggestions. I’m finding everyone’s responses on this thread helpful in some way. For sure I need an attitude adjustment.
  • The answer is no more suffering. Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT).All anxiety is easily released as you tap on meridian points while bringing up the negative followed by a positive statement. "Even though I get nervous and anxious before competition, I don't want it, I don't need it and I choose to let it go." Or even though I have this fear ( false evidence appearing real)... and whatever the fear is, I don't want it , I don't need it and I hoose to let it go." Positive statement ts can be, "I choose to be confident, calm and in control." or " I choose for my stroke to be strong, powerful with my antagonistic muscles relaxed.", "I choose to block out all external and internal thoughts." , this is the Zome (Flow) so many try for and never achieve. Check out my web site www.tommeade.com