Warming up, before the warmup?

I'm a newbie, to swimming for fitness, but not to general working out. I'm puzzled about how to make sure my aging bod is set for a good workout in the pool. I've always been under the impression that stretching cold muscles is not very productive, but I also don't think it's wise to drive to the pool, change, and hop straight in the pool and start doing laps. Do you stretch before you get in the pool (or er, intend to, anyway, most times lol?). Or does a hot tub do any good before a swim workout? It occurs to me that I'm beginning my swim workout "cold," and that it is maybe impeding my progress.
Parents
  • One exercise that has worked for me is to go on a walk or light jog right before the swim, making sure I've had enough to eat beforehand and I'm hydrating with water or an electrolyte drink frequently as I warm up. It's a really gentle exercise that helps me move without spending energy I need to swim and unlike static stretching you won't risk pulling a muscle or feeling tight. I take a 10 or 15min break after the walk and then go into my warm up swim and main sets immediately after. I read somewhere that in order to improve swimming technique and endurance, you must be swimming, but in regards to just warming your body up in preparation for a swim, it doesn't matter what type of light exercise you do. I've also noticed walking is a great motivator when I'm doing solo workouts because I end up at the gym a good half hour early for the sake of getting the walk in, and therefore if I'm running late one day it comes out of the walk not my actual time I have set for swimming, which is the part that really matters.
  • One exercise that has worked for me is to go on a walk or light jog right before the swim, making sure I've had enough to eat beforehand and I'm hydrating with water or an electrolyte drink frequently as I warm up. It's a really gentle exercise that helps me move without spending energy I need to swim and unlike static stretching you won't risk pulling a muscle or feeling tight. I take a 10 or 15min break after the walk and then go into my warm up swim and main sets immediately after. I read somewhere that in order to improve swimming technique and endurance, you must be swimming, but in regards to just warming your body up in preparation for a swim, it doesn't matter what type of light exercise you do. I've also noticed walking is a great motivator when I'm doing solo workouts because I end up at the gym a good half hour early for the sake of getting the walk in, and therefore if I'm running late one day it comes out of the walk not my actual time I have set for swimming, which is the part that really matters.
Children
No Data