2021 USMS Short Course National Championship Meet Information

The 2021 USMS Short Course National Championship is planned for July 21-25 at the Greensboro Aquatic Center in Greensboro, North Carolina.

This meet, renamed from Spring Nationals just for this year, was postponed from April 29 - May 2 due the coronavirus pandemic. 

Precautions will be in place with the meet split into sessions and attendance limited. We look forward to safely welcoming Masters swimmers back to this annual championship. 

Entries will open May 24 and close June 21 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific time unless capacity is reached prior to the June 21 deadline. Don't delay!

Visit this page for all the latest details: www.usms.org/.../2021-short-course-national-championship

• It mentions that entries close on June 21st unless capacity is met before June 21st. What is capacity? I didn't see a specific number anywhere.

• Since the event was postponed from April, the GAC is also rescheduling other programming to accommodate USMS Short Course Nationals. We've been able to reserve 10 hours each day (6am - 4pm) to hold the meet. We should be able to have 1000-1200 swimmers per day for Friday-Sunday split into sessions by age group, but the exact number will depend on the entries received and the estimated timeline. 

The distance events (Wed-Thurs) will also be limited by the 10 hour max. We will close entries for those events if/when we've reached capacity. 

During this unusual year this is still subject to change and we will confirm all details as we get closer to the meet. 

• OK that gives us the limits spoken of to work with. Thanx for the info.

• Is there a minimum number of entries required for the meet to continue? 

• There wasn't a minimum target, but with 535 entries and counting safe to say we're in good shape from that standpoint. 

• What is the deal with our USMS board and these over-the-top safety protocols for the meet?  Have we thrown all CDC and state recommendations out the window?  USMS is no longer following the guidelines in place but taking extreme measures that are not only unnecessary but also impede the running of the meet and crush the integrity of the event.  No spectators.  Currently splitting the meet into three sessions.  No relays.  Family members are unable to attend (unless they volunteer, which is not an option for many with small children), even though there are no longer ANY restrictions on the size of gatherings in North Carolina and many other states.   You cannot watch and cheer for your teammates if they are in other sessions.  With more sessions, that leaves less recovery time between events.  To top it off, there are no relays either, which is why many swimmers attend, to be part of the team!  Is there a reason we are not following the protocols of the meet host state?  Swimmers who are not comfortable attending the meet will not come, regardless of the meet protocols.  What was the point of getting vaccinated?  It was so we could open back up and resume our activities.  Why is USMS continuing to hold to these archaic protocols?  Where's the science behind it?

• I am just glad that they are going to hold it. Putting on a nationwide meet is a big undertaking. Making decisions that could affect the swimmers/volunteers/staff are not easy or certain. I have attended several meets in Texas that had similar protocols and I was happy to comply. 

I guess a case could be made for USMS to wait another year to hold nationals (given the relative small number of people who have entered) but they have agreed to do it under these conditions and I will be glad to compete.

• Thanks, and . We understand there are varying opinions on this topic and we’ve tried to strike an appropriate balance for both Phase 3 Return to Competition guidance and 2021 USMS Short Course Nationals as the CDC has continued to urge caution for large indoor events/venues (like Greensboro). As you can imagine, it has been a challenge to plan a large event as the situation has evolved continually and we have made quite a few adjustments (easing restrictions, increasing capacity) from original plans to follow updated CDC guidance. The current plan is to split the meet into two sessions per day (rather than 3), but not allow spectators so the facility will be less crowded throughout (on deck, in the stands, warmup pools, locker rooms, etc). Since the event was postponed from April, the GAC is also rescheduling other programming to accommodate USMS Short Course Nationals. We've been able to reserve 10 hours each day (6am - 4pm) to hold the meet, but that time limit makes it more difficult to fit in relays (in addition to safety concerns).

https://www.usms.org/events/covid-19-event-resources

https://www.usms.org/events/national-championships/pool-national-championships/2021-pool-national-championships/2021-short-course-national-championship/2021-short-course-nationals-covid-19-protocol

• I'm seriously considering an entry. Has a decision been made on what age groups in which session? I will be driving (3 hours each way and need to plan).

Thanks for getting this going. I have been going to nats off and on since '73 and always have a good time, if not good times!