PEDs

There's been a bit of a kerfuffle on Slowtwitch.com (which is typical...bring out the pitchforks & torches) regarding the possible use of PEDs by USMS swimmers. Accusations, innuendo and prove it to the group are some of the opinions stated. forum.slowtwitch.com/.../
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 5 years ago
    I think doping is for dopes but it is occurring. My guess is its more prevalent in the older age groups. It's a small minority but really needs to be addressed. I'm a guy who is lucky to finish in the top 50 in any given event. Who cares if I do dope, the focus should be on the top of each age group. In my age group I see some people with suspicious times. People in their 70's swimming faster than 10 years ago, people 65 swimming distance events as fast as they did in college. There's a page on this website called age grading www.usms.org/.../age-grading, I think it's pretty accurate in showing moderate but clear decline in performance as we age. One of the best swimmers in my opinion in masters and who has been around a long time is Jim Mc Conica. If you look at his swims over time you see the steady decline in performance that you would expect from aging. Some folks do not show the expected declines in performance and these are the folks I would be concerned with.
  • So does Botox count? Makes me LOOK younger, anyway!
  • As I turned 73 before Mesa, I had a tough season leading up to this meet. I was really down on myself for getting slower despite all my miles at swim practice and the 8 hours each week at the gym! A long talk with myself lead me to try to accept "aging slow down". I take all the above related meds except low t? as needed to keep my 5 hip surgeries in check. Older, over weight, slowly balding 73 year old middle of the road Illinois State Univ. swimmer that I am, won 6 medals In 6 events at mesa with slower times than last year! Yes - I take meds to make it to next year not to gain any advantage.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 5 years ago
    I just don't believe people in their sixties and seventies can be swimming times that show little or no decline over decades. In general, you can expect to see a decline in peak VO2 of 10% per decade. That having been said, the rate of decline can be attenuated to some degree through training.
  • So does Botox count? Makes me LOOK younger, anyway! Of course. Wrinkles add drag! :)
  • I must be the only one who is taking performance reducing drugs. I am 60 and have hypertension (under control and swimming helps), and PTSD for the past 3.5 years. I am also taking a muscle relaxer just so I don't get muscle spasms like the one that hit me in Mesa and I could not swim my last 4 events. I have to take meds that make me feel dopey and can make me zone out at times just so I can function in my new normal. The only good part is that I started swimming again 4 years ago and I am still getting in shape after a 34 year absence from the pool. So if you were to look at my times for the past 3 years, they are getting faster, but with the meds, I still feel slow. I don't think my situation fits the description of someone taking PEDs. But I feel if that if I got off the meds, my performances would likely improve even more.
  • Does a cortisone shot add a layer of question to my eligibility?