2018 Locales

Any pre-convention buzz on possible sites for the 2018 Nats?
  • According to the minutes from the Short course nationals will be at Indianapolis, long course nationals have not been picked yet. It appears that the Pan Am Games may be used instead, but from what I read they have until next year's convention to add long course nationals back in. It sounds a little confusing but seems like nothing is written in stone. There will not be a long course national meet in 2018. The Pan Am meet will be the USMS sponsored meet instead.
  • This is the section in the minutes concerning The Pan American Games and Summer Nationals: "B. LCM Summer Nationals ** the USMS Board directed Championship Committee to fully support 2018 Pan Ams in Orlando when considering 2018 Summer Nationals bids. C ommittee made the unanimous decision to not award 2018 Summer Nationals at this time , so as not to conflict with Pan Ams (Pan Ams would be within a week of Summer Nationals and both bids received were primarily in same time zone). Additionally, both the Championship Committee and Orlando decided it was not in either’s best interest to pursue combining 2018 Summer Nationals with 2018 Pan Ams. A concern of the USMS National Office about not awarding the 2018 Summer Nationals was being able to meet USMS’s contractual requirements for national sponsors (exposure at two national championships per year). However, Pan Ams has agreed to give USMS’s national sponsors that don’t conflict with Orlando (host) exposure at 2018 Pan Ams, thereby alleviating those concerns. Additionally, Orlando stated they would permit 18*24 year old swimmers to compete in Pan Ams. They won’t be eligible for Pan Am awards nor be eligible for relays (unless perhaps Exhibition), but their individual times would be USMS sanctioned. The USMS rule book (104.3.6) indicates that Nationals shall be awarded 1*3 years out, so the Championship Committee would still be able to award 2018 Summer Nationals during the next bid cycle, but as of this bid cycle we will not be awarding 2018 Summer Nationals. To be determined is how to address 104.1.2 which states the Championship Committee shall award 2018 Summer Nationals."
  • Orlando in the summer. Oh joy. Hah, that was my thought too! I don't particularly like visiting Florida any time of year, but the summer in Florida is about as close to hell on earth as one can get, I think....
  • Orlando in the summer. Oh joy. It was a nice comfortable 99 degrees in Portland last month for Nationals :joker:
  • It was a nice comfortable 99 degrees in Portland last month for Nationals :joker: This is true...but as they say: "It's a dry heat!" :agree: Indoors. That certainly makes a big difference!
  • I hope I can swing this one! Spring Nats are out for me since son #1 will be graduating HS. I guess it depends on where he decides to go to college if I can make (read: afford) an early August meet!
  • This is true...but as they say: "It's a dry heat!" :agree: I was going to say the exact same thing!
  • Actually, even though it's "indoors" when they have the Rowdy Gains meet, most of the pool is open to the outside. They have several windows that they open and the roof also opens up.