How many swimmers go to Nationals who *don't* meet the NQTs?

Hi everyone. I'm a slow fitness swimmer who hasn't competed since I was 14, but I'd like to start participating just because it looks fun. I understand that anyone *can* swim up to 3 events at Nationals, but do non-qualifiers take advantage of that? What proportion of heats 'd like to go, but don't want to slow everyone else down.
  • I'm possibly going to Nationals but I've looked at previous years results and QTs and I'm nowhere near that fast. Please remember you don't need to meet QTs to swim up to 3 events (except for the 1500m free - you must meet the QT to swim that event). You don't have to be near the QT - pick three events and come and have fun!
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 10 years ago
    I went in the warm-up/down pool, and another guy asked how I did. After I told him my time, he said, "it is people like you who make these meets last so long." There should probably be a surcharge added to the USMS dues for people as grumpy as him.
  • There should probably be a surcharge added to the USMS dues for people as grumpy as him. :applaud: Yeah, that guy was as grumpy as your avatar! :afraid:
  • While the rules do allow it, and some people say that no one will say anything, what actually happens at USMS nationals is a whole different story. Obviously this guy was a big time jerk, but do you think maybe it's time to get over it? From my perspective this is very atypical.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 10 years ago
    KRA GOOD FOR YOU !!!!! What you have done for yourself is a really good thing. And the step up to try Nationals is to be applauded !! This is why wining is a part of our sport but not the only thing that brings new - old into it for starters or to return to competition. I got a man like ypou at 335 to start swimming years ago & he does the 2000 fly at state Not fast but he gives it all he has. Thanks for your kind words. During this process, I've had a couple people in my life who, like you, have provided crucial support and encouragement. It's not easy to be the one nudging someone you care about back toward a life of fitness, but it's an incredible gift. Santa Clara was fantastic, although I did hold up my 200 Back heat by about 20 seconds. I doubt anyone cared; my seed time was legit and I popped out of the pool as soon as the lactic acid allowed. I nailed my taper, dropping over a minute to 12:03 in the 1,000 Free. At this rate, I may be able to compete with some of these awesome, inspiring guys in my age group as early as August Nationals. Even if I'm not quite there by that time, I still feel like I belong and I still feel like USMS swimmers are overwhelmingly accepting of differences in competence -- it's a real stength of USMS and it's a big reason why I've been able to keep hammering away at this audacious project.
  • I signed up for the Nationals at University of Maryland, and also didn't make the qualifying times. I signed up for the three events that I was most interested in swimming that met my needs for the time period Thursday/Friday, 8/14-8/15. I don't wish to be there the entire 5 days. I have never been to a National Meet, and being chairperson for Marketing of Delaware Valley USMS swimming, I thought it would be a fun meet to try out. You should sign up if you are interested in going, and not worry about the qualifying times. I only did age group swimming from ages 8-12, and started back in Masters about 5 years ago after a 32 year vacation from competitive swimming. I am not sure if there is an exact number or people who go that don't make the qualifying times, it may vary from year to year.
  • To WIN is not the norm!!! To be in the water is what most of us are in this sport for. OK- doing well makes you feel better,but in the end we are just happier when we work out in the pool. I just returned from a 20 mile bike ride in the 90 degree temp with high humidity. The pool sounds pretty good right now !!!
  • To WIN is not the norm!!! To be in the water is what most of us are in this sport for. OK- doing well makes you feel better,but in the end we are just happier when we work out in the pool. QUOTE] Honestly, this is one of the things that I always loved about swimming. Even in High School, when someone was feeling down because they didn't win, or came in last, my first question was always, "But how was your time?" Often the answer was that it was a best time, or close to it. What more can you ask for? You just swam faster than you ever have before! "Doing well" is relative to the individual, and in swimming, you get to experience the "team" atmosphere, while still achieving personal goals. USMS Nationals enforce this ideal by allowing EVERYONE to be able to participate in some capacity. Everybody has the opportunity to get out of housework because the are "on taper" :D and everyone gets to experience the electricity of a large scale meet. It's really quite cool. Watching the really fast swimmers race is cool....but my favorites are the people that have a story. The ones competing for the first time ever, those overcoming some major hurdle, and my biggest inspiration...the elderly that are still at it!! I aspire to still be swimming into my 90's, God willing I live that long. :angel:
  • Honestly, this is one of the things that I always loved about swimming. Even in High School, when someone was feeling down because they didn't win, or came in last, my first question was always, "But how was your time?" Often the answer was that it was a best time, or close to it. What more can you ask for? You just swam faster than you ever have before! "Doing well" is relative to the individual, and in swimming, you get to experience the "team" atmosphere, while still achieving personal goals. Glad to see this mentioned. One of the (in my mind) best aspects about almost all levels of competitive swimming is that everyone in a heat can be happy with their swim. My forum picture is from the end of a 100 free where the person in the lane next to me went over 3 seconds faster than I did. But I was so happy with the time it didn't matter at all.
  • Glad to see this mentioned. One of the (in my mind) best aspects about almost all levels of competitive swimming is that everyone in a heat can be happy with their swim. My forum picture is from the end of a 100 free where the person in the lane next to me went over 3 seconds faster than I did. But I was so happy with the time it didn't matter at all. EXACTLY! I will be swimming my worst event at Worlds and Nationals (200 fly), because I love it. I'm good with endurance fly (2,000 rather than 200), but I am very slow. (I'm seeded 33rd of 34 at Worlds, just to give you an idea.) I've been working hard on it, though, so I just hope to improve my time. It's a great feeling when that happens, even when you get slaughtered by the competition! :agree: This past Saturday, a gal beat me out for a gold medal in the 3K at the Georgia Games by about three minutes. I couldn't have been happier with that silver, because I took 11 minutes off my time from 2012 when I swam an open water race for the first time. I've only done a few open water races since then; but, my sighting and endurance has gotten much better. I'm still on a cloud after winning silver! :D Where in So Cal are you from? I was born and raised in Long Beach and lived in San Diego for most of my life. My family is still in L.B. and L.A.