in water relay exchanges

Former Member
Former Member
If one does a relay exchange from an in water position, what is the rule about what part of the body must be touching the wall? This is not the start but a relay exchange.
Parents
  • This is a good question, Janis. Since it is not addressed in 101.7.3 Rules pertaining to Relay Races. Well, 101.7.3H kind of addresses it in "The team of a swimmer whose feet have lost contact with the starting platrorm (ground, deck, or wall) before the preceding teammate touches the wall shall be disqualified." So that means at the minimum the feet have to be against the wall. But since it is not address in "Rules Pertaining to Relay Races." I would look at the forward start rule 107.1 "They should take their position with at least one foot at the front of the starting platorm, the edge of the deck, or on the wall before the command "Take your Mark." Those starting in the water must have at least one hand in contact with the wall or starting block. Those seem to be the guiding rules, but as a swimmer who frequently starts in the water, how else would you want to start. The hand on the wall gives your the ability to get your legs in tighter so you can push off faster. I dont think you could go near as far just pushing with your legs off the wall. hope this helps. michael
  • This is a good question, Janis. Since it is not addressed in 101.7.3 Rules pertaining to Relay Races. Well, 101.7.3H kind of addresses it in "The team of a swimmer whose feet have lost contact with the starting platrorm (ground, deck, or wall) before the preceding teammate touches the wall shall be disqualified." So that means at the minimum the feet have to be against the wall. But since it is not address in "Rules Pertaining to Relay Races." I would look at the forward start rule 107.1 "They should take their position with at least one foot at the front of the starting platorm, the edge of the deck, or on the wall before the command "Take your Mark." Those starting in the water must have at least one hand in contact with the wall or starting block. Those seem to be the guiding rules, but as a swimmer who frequently starts in the water, how else would you want to start. The hand on the wall gives your the ability to get your legs in tighter so you can push off faster. I dont think you could go near as far just pushing with your legs off the wall. hope this helps. michael
Children
No Data